Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > tools for a beginner gun smith ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default tools for a beginner gun smith ???

I'm lookin to buy a few tools to do basic smith work on my own guns, mostly just trigger jobs and simple stuff. I figured brass punches, screw drivers and some stones mite be a good start.

Question is can anyone steer me in the rite direction as to which stones would be the best to start out with? and a good brand or type of necessity tools.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #2

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Im not big on gun smitting but I do find i interesting. My experiance dredging forums is that youll probably want some sort of a Dremil bit set as well. They can come in pretty handy.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Are you familiar with Brownells? They carry any gunsmithing tool or accessory you could want.

You definitely want a good set of hollow ground screwdrivers so you don't mess up screw heads.

Some dental picks, small files, some punches and a small needlenose pliers are good to have.

Stay away from a Dremel tool until you're pretty skilled. Dremel's have screwed up more guns than rust and rain.

Here's a link to Brownells: BROWNELLS : World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #4

a quality set of screwdrivers is the most important thing you need starting out (otherwise your going to destroy screws). i agree with the recomendation to stay away from the dremel unless your very good with it. brownells is a must have catalog.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2577 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 195

A 6" India stone is valuable for common jobs. A hard Arkansas stone is nice for finish work. Both are reasonably priced.

It depends on what guns you are working on. There are kits specific to the type/model of gun. I have a basic S&W revolver kit and added a few specialized tools for AR's, Sig's and shotguns. There are some specialized tools for 1911's like plunger tube staking tools, front sight staking tools, hammer/sear jigs etc.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #6

Brownells got it all,I've been lookin around on ther sitefor a couple hours. A man can spend some serious cash ther, but good quality tools pay for themselves in the long run. ROBOCOP: you mentioned india stones, and Arkansas stones to finish with, whats your say on ceramic?

Old 09-26-2009, 05:04 AM   #7

i cant answer for robocop, but i really like the ceramic stones i have, with them i can put one heck of a smooth surface on steel. i do use other stones for coarser work though, as the ceramics are not real fast cutting.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:09 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I've used a relatively fine, double sided whetstone to pretty good effect for trigger jobs.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #9

Liked 167 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Are you familiar with Brownells? They carry any gunsmithing tool or accessory you could want.

You definitely want a good set of hollow ground screwdrivers so you don't mess up screw heads.

Some dental picks, small files, some punches and a small needlenose pliers are good to have.

Stay away from a Dremel tool until you're pretty skilled. Dremel's have screwed up more guns than rust and rain.

Here's a link to Brownells: BROWNELLS : World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
Very sound advice on all points, and I'll agree with the other posts that a proper set of hollow ground screwdrivers should be your #1 purchase IMO.

Having a screwdriver that fully fills the screw slot will make the difference between success and self-inflicted damage in my experience.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #10

appalachian

Here is a kit for you, a small hammer brass if you can find one. Screw drivers all sizes flat head and phillips. A good made punch set small sizes mainly.Brass difts if you can find them in several sizes. A good set of hex key wenches.Pliers all types ie needle nosed vise grips slip jaw. Files or try to find a swiss file set. Sanding and sharping stones different grit for rough and smoothing jobs. You should get a nice gun cleaning kit and a good vise with smooth jaws or inserts. You might also want to get a strap wrench or a pipe wench. You dont have to buy this stuff at Brownells or Miday just use those places for special tools like sight pushers. Those tools in that kit can be found around your house or go get some Caftsman so if they break you can take them back.If I was you I would buy some disassembly books on different guns so if you take one a part you can look at the book and get it back together. You can get them on Amazon or thru Brownells or Midway.
Hope this helps ya.

Last edited by Hambone; 04-08-2010 at 02:10 PM.