Tools...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Tools...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tools...

Can someone recommend to me a company that makes high quality gunsmith tools? I've looked at a couple manufacturers (Grace, Weaver, Lyman) but I have no way of really telling the quality of their products. I've bent a few low quality punches.

What about gun-specific vises? Most I have seen in catalogs and the internet do not seem to be constructed that well. Are they worth it? Or should I just get a shop vise and some nylon blocks?

The gunsmith near me charges too much and I do not find the quality of his work good at all. I get by now, but I want to work on higher end weapons and not risk marring them.

"LA TUTLEK... ANA SAHAFI!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1402 Posts
Likes Given: 1451

Get a set of Starett #565 Punches. 8 various sizes in a Red plastic container which allows you to see the size rather than sorting through the punches when using them. I use them in my armorer schools they are tops and very durable. And if you ever break one you can replace the single punch at any Fastnal Store in the USA or Granger's.
Also if you have a Northern Tool around go get their Heavy Duty 4" Vise and make some Nylon Jaw Plates. You can even make them out of a thick cutting board. You can also glue leather pads on the nylon also if you need another set of jaws that are softer.

Last edited by Sniper03; 08-10-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #3

Liked 770 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 241

You can never go wrong with Brownel's. They guarantee every single tool they sell. Midway has many tools also. a regular made in USA vise should be just fine. In my years of gunsmithing I used a heavy Sears Craftsman vise and a Versa-vise and a couple of hand vises. you will need a couple of jaw pads depending on the particular job.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3147 Times on 1812 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

Brownell's #64 came in the mail today. If they do not have the tool, then it does not need to be worked on.

(Brownell's now sells ammo, too)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)