Tips from seasoned gunsmiths

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Tips from seasoned gunsmiths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tips from seasoned gunsmiths

I am just about to finish my studies of a gunsmithing course, and I am wondering what you guys/gals that have been in the field for a while would recommend to further my studies, or to help get an apprentice gig in an already established shop.

Cory

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #2

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Training in machining, metalurgy and welding would be a great help for a future, well rounded gunsmith. Your training as a gunsmith requires years of hands on training, weather it be under someone, schooling, or on your own. Online courses or mail order courses "will not a gunsmith make". I have known several very good self taught gunsmiths, but it took many, many years in the school of hard knocks to get there.

Jim................

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Brownells offers a job fair annually. Find out when the next one is, attend it, and mingle with the other people. And see who gets hired. Most will have attended an "in-resident" course.

Listen to masterPsmith.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #4

Having been playing in this field for over 50 years the best advice I can give is do not try and do it all. Do what you like best and excell at that. If you like stocks study wood and what it takes to make a good stock. If you like blueing then find top quality bluer and study under him. No eveyone can blue a gun and it takes a log time to learn how to use the wheels. If you like working on the insides then study how they work and what is needed to make it work. If you ever need to build a missing part for a gun that has not drawings or was hand built to begin with you will know what I mean. Learn everything you can about metal and you will have to become a master machinest. You will need to learn how to weld, sliver sodder, braze and many other skills. You will need to learn to do this to be a gunsmith and not just a parts changer and fitter. Like eveyone above has stated it will take you years and when you are my age and have 40years behind you you will understand how little you realy know. Good luck

Old 07-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #5

Thanks guys, I understand that it's going to take time in the field. And also to kind of choose a specialty. My main question is what are most gunsmiths going to consider when taking someone under their wing?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

"My main question is what are most gunsmiths going to consider when taking someone under their wing? "
Your personality is most likely the biggest thing. If there is some shops in your area, hang out there some and try to get to know them. To make it work they have to trust you , respect you, and like you. And vise-versa. Some would see you as a competitor. Some would just not want to waste the time.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #7

Not sure about others but I want someone who is willing to learn. I know they teach you the very basics in the schools and I know you will be more than willing and wanting to share what you have learned. But most old goats like me have heard and seen it allready. So when we tell you somthing we do not want to hear that's not what I was told in school or by someone else. What we want to hear is why do you do it that way. Also I look for someone who has good feel in their hands and good eye hand cordnation. And above all paticence who is willing to master the basics first then move on to other areas. I dont like used car salesmen and I dont need them in my gunshop. You dont need to know everything there is about all the latest inventions or the speed of every bullit or what modle of gun is the in thing. You want to be a gunsmith you need to learn how to build any part in any gun without a book to show you how if you have to. Once you learn that then you will be a gun smith. If you want to be a sales man in a gun store then worry about the other stuff.