Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Taurus PT138 Firing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus PT138 Firing Question

Okay, maybe I didn't title this post correctly, so If you don't mind, I will explain the details as best I can and maybe someone here can tell me what I need to do.

The problem basically is that when I load a full mag, chamber a round, and pull the trigger (at the ranger, of course) only a small "click" occurs and no round is fired. The trigger is very easy to pull in this state and the small click on comes at the end of the pull.

Now, when I do the same, except with an unloaded mag, the trigger pull seems normal.

Someone told me it might be a spring problem with a spring that's located in the slide. I have taken it apart to look, but not being a gunsmith, I really don't know what I am looking at.

Any suggestions? Hopefully I was clear on what the problem is. If not, let me know and I will try to do a better explanation.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

So, does the weapon fire at all? Have you shot it before and it worked fine, then just stopped working? Or is this a sometimes only thing?

I believe this is a Double Action Only Pistol, yes?

So the resulting trigger pull should be close to the same each time, but from what you are saying it appears that when you chamber a round the trigger pull is lessened and the weapon does not fire. Is that correct?

Old 07-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I believe this is a striker fired with the double strike capability. The only poly Taurus I ever owned was a 24/7 Pro and it developed a trigger reset problem within a week and had to go back to Taurus. You could manually reset the trigger by racking the slide a tad - but the DA pull did not work. I suspect yours may have to make the trip back to Taurus...

Old 07-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
So, does the weapon fire at all? Have you shot it before and it worked fine, then just stopped working? Or is this a sometimes only thing?

I believe this is a Double Action Only Pistol, yes?

So the resulting trigger pull should be close to the same each time, but from what you are saying it appears that when you chamber a round the trigger pull is lessened and the weapon does not fire. Is that correct?
No, the pistol does not fire at all. It did fire at one point, the last time I brought it to the range (over a month ago). It is a SA/DA pistol.

Yes, the trigger pull is lessened (thanks for the correct terminology) when a round is chambered.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I am inclined to agree with NGIB because I haven't ever seen this problem before to be honest.

A wild assed shot in the dark would be to see if the tip broke off the firing pin. That certainly would not explain the trigger pull issues, but it would explain why it doesn't fire.

I am afraid I am of no help on this one.

Where's stalkingbear? I am sure he has seen something like this before...

Old 07-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #6

As I said, I suspect you're having the same trigger reset problem I had. Can you rack the slide a half inch or so to reset the striker/trigger? Needless to say, be very cautious doing this. If the gun will then fire - it's probably going to have to go back to Taurus like mine did...

(It took about 12 weeks to get my gun back and I sold it at a loss immediately)

Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
As I said, I suspect you're having the same trigger reset problem I had. Can you rack the slide a half inch or so to reset the striker/trigger? Needless to say, be very cautious doing this. If the gun will then fire - it's probably going to have to go back to Taurus like mine did...

(It took about 12 weeks to get my gun back and I sold it at a loss immediately)
Well, I was hoping it would be something simple, but I will take your advice and get it to Taurus. I really liked the pistol; small, light, easily concealable. Crap!

I guess I need to look for a new .380.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #8

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I will never own another polymer Taurus again - just can't depend on them. Here's one I'd recommend, an older Walther PPK...

Old 07-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree, ditch the Taurus.. I've had issues with their stuff lately (TCP came apart at the range) and I immediatelly replaced it with a Ruger.

I do not trust Taurus any more..

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 07-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It sounds like a broken striker spring to me. I'd advise sending it back to Taurus. It's an easy fix for them.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!