Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Taurus PT138 Firing Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/taurus-pt138-firing-question-29542/)

azcowboy 07-21-2010 03:37 PM

Taurus PT138 Firing Question

Okay, maybe I didn't title this post correctly, so If you don't mind, I will explain the details as best I can and maybe someone here can tell me what I need to do.

The problem basically is that when I load a full mag, chamber a round, and pull the trigger (at the ranger, of course) only a small "click" occurs and no round is fired. The trigger is very easy to pull in this state and the small click on comes at the end of the pull.

Now, when I do the same, except with an unloaded mag, the trigger pull seems normal.

Someone told me it might be a spring problem with a spring that's located in the slide. I have taken it apart to look, but not being a gunsmith, I really don't know what I am looking at.

Any suggestions? Hopefully I was clear on what the problem is. If not, let me know and I will try to do a better explanation.

Dillinger 07-21-2010 03:56 PM

So, does the weapon fire at all? Have you shot it before and it worked fine, then just stopped working? Or is this a sometimes only thing?

I believe this is a Double Action Only Pistol, yes?

So the resulting trigger pull should be close to the same each time, but from what you are saying it appears that when you chamber a round the trigger pull is lessened and the weapon does not fire. Is that correct?

NGIB 07-21-2010 04:21 PM

I believe this is a striker fired with the double strike capability. The only poly Taurus I ever owned was a 24/7 Pro and it developed a trigger reset problem within a week and had to go back to Taurus. You could manually reset the trigger by racking the slide a tad - but the DA pull did not work. I suspect yours may have to make the trip back to Taurus...

azcowboy 07-21-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 318223)
So, does the weapon fire at all? Have you shot it before and it worked fine, then just stopped working? Or is this a sometimes only thing?

I believe this is a Double Action Only Pistol, yes?

So the resulting trigger pull should be close to the same each time, but from what you are saying it appears that when you chamber a round the trigger pull is lessened and the weapon does not fire. Is that correct?

No, the pistol does not fire at all. It did fire at one point, the last time I brought it to the range (over a month ago). It is a SA/DA pistol.

Yes, the trigger pull is lessened (thanks for the correct terminology) when a round is chambered.

Dillinger 07-21-2010 04:28 PM

I am inclined to agree with NGIB because I haven't ever seen this problem before to be honest.

A wild assed shot in the dark would be to see if the tip broke off the firing pin. That certainly would not explain the trigger pull issues, but it would explain why it doesn't fire.

I am afraid I am of no help on this one.

Where's stalkingbear? I am sure he has seen something like this before...

NGIB 07-21-2010 04:30 PM

As I said, I suspect you're having the same trigger reset problem I had. Can you rack the slide a half inch or so to reset the striker/trigger? Needless to say, be very cautious doing this. If the gun will then fire - it's probably going to have to go back to Taurus like mine did...

(It took about 12 weeks to get my gun back and I sold it at a loss immediately)

azcowboy 07-21-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 318249)
As I said, I suspect you're having the same trigger reset problem I had. Can you rack the slide a half inch or so to reset the striker/trigger? Needless to say, be very cautious doing this. If the gun will then fire - it's probably going to have to go back to Taurus like mine did...

(It took about 12 weeks to get my gun back and I sold it at a loss immediately)

Well, I was hoping it would be something simple, but I will take your advice and get it to Taurus. I really liked the pistol; small, light, easily concealable. Crap!

I guess I need to look for a new .380.

NGIB 07-21-2010 04:43 PM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I will never own another polymer Taurus again - just can't depend on them. Here's one I'd recommend, an older Walther PPK...

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j.../IMG_WPK-X.jpg

TheOldMan 07-21-2010 05:59 PM

I agree, ditch the Taurus.. I've had issues with their stuff lately (TCP came apart at the range) and I immediatelly replaced it with a Ruger.

I do not trust Taurus any more..

stalkingbear 07-21-2010 10:18 PM

It sounds like a broken striker spring to me. I'd advise sending it back to Taurus. It's an easy fix for them.