Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > taurus model 99 trigger job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default taurus model 99 trigger job?

Hi ya'll Hey I was wondering if anyone here has done a trigger job on a Taurus model 99 .22 L.R. The double action trigger pull is very heavy.. I know some springs have to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get said springs? Am I on the right track to lessen trigger pull? I already tried wolf gun springs and they do not have the springs for this gun..

Any help on this matter would be appreciated..

mtnsmith

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have had good luck with Brownells spring kit variety pack and make my own.
For coil springs use the same length but go one size smaller for a lighter spring. or with the flat spring they come anealed find the width of the old one and again go one size smaller form and fit . When you are done heat to bright orange( non magnetic) and oil quinch, polish and sit it on the burrner of your electric stove and bring up to blue purple and let cool in a can of wood ashes.
Hope this helps
F.K.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Is it a .22 conversion? I thought the PT99 was a 9mm centerfire pistol. Here's a link for PT99 spring kit which will reduce felt DA pull weight 30-40% with no other changes. You are looking for a reduced weight mainspring to lower the DA pull weight.

Brownells Search : Handgun Parts : Autoloading Pistol Parts : Springs : Taurus PT-99 Springs - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Wolff Trigger Conversion Unit Beretta 92, 96 Taurus PT92, PT99 Reduced Power - MidwayUSA

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2279 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

One consideration - My PPK/s in .22 uses the hammer spring as part of the recoil reduction. The pressure needed to push the hammer back helps to reduce the felt recoil. That is one reason the PPK's have such a strong double action pull, but are great in single action.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Is it a .22 conversion? I thought the PT99 was a 9mm centerfire pistol. Here's a link for PT99 spring kit which will reduce felt DA pull weight 30-40% with no other changes. You are looking for a reduced weight mainspring to lower the DA pull weight.

Brownells Search : Handgun Parts : Autoloading Pistol Parts : Springs : Taurus PT-99 Springs - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Wolff Trigger Conversion Unit Beretta 92, 96 Taurus PT92, PT99 Reduced Power - MidwayUSA

Sorry ya'll I meant to say model 94. It's a revolver .22 L.R. Its my dyslexia working over time..

mtnsmith

Old 06-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Is it a small frame or medium/large frame gun? I don't show a spring kit for the Taurus model 94. I'd advise taking it to your local gunsmith for an action tune. If you try the old trick of clipping coils off the mainspring it's too darn easy to go too far.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2279 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

+1 on Stalkingbear.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 06-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I had a 94 for a time and the DA pull is terrible. Everything I've read leads me to believe that any spring that lightens the pull will cause ignition problems. I pulled the side plate and cleaned a lot of gunk out of mine, lubed it, and it got marginally better. Dry firing a zillion times would help as well but be sure to use snap caps. Bottom line is I've never heard of any modifications that work to get a good DA pull and keep the gun reliable. I sold mine and bought a S&W...