Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   taurus model 99 trigger job? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/taurus-model-99-trigger-job-28327/)

mtnsmith 06-15-2010 01:46 PM

taurus model 99 trigger job?

Hi ya'll Hey I was wondering if anyone here has done a trigger job on a Taurus model 99 .22 L.R. The double action trigger pull is very heavy.. I know some springs have to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get said springs? Am I on the right track to lessen trigger pull? I already tried wolf gun springs and they do not have the springs for this gun..

Any help on this matter would be appreciated..

mtnsmith

Fisherking 06-15-2010 02:13 PM

I have had good luck with Brownells spring kit variety pack and make my own.
For coil springs use the same length but go one size smaller for a lighter spring. or with the flat spring they come anealed find the width of the old one and again go one size smaller form and fit . When you are done heat to bright orange( non magnetic) and oil quinch, polish and sit it on the burrner of your electric stove and bring up to blue purple and let cool in a can of wood ashes.
Hope this helps
F.K.

stalkingbear 06-15-2010 03:01 PM

Is it a .22 conversion? I thought the PT99 was a 9mm centerfire pistol. Here's a link for PT99 spring kit which will reduce felt DA pull weight 30-40% with no other changes. You are looking for a reduced weight mainspring to lower the DA pull weight.

Brownells Search : Handgun Parts : Autoloading Pistol Parts : Springs : Taurus PT-99 Springs - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Wolff Trigger Conversion Unit Beretta 92, 96 Taurus PT92, PT99 Reduced Power - MidwayUSA

danf_fl 06-15-2010 03:28 PM

One consideration - My PPK/s in .22 uses the hammer spring as part of the recoil reduction. The pressure needed to push the hammer back helps to reduce the felt recoil. That is one reason the PPK's have such a strong double action pull, but are great in single action.

mtnsmith 06-15-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 300271)
Is it a .22 conversion? I thought the PT99 was a 9mm centerfire pistol. Here's a link for PT99 spring kit which will reduce felt DA pull weight 30-40% with no other changes. You are looking for a reduced weight mainspring to lower the DA pull weight.

Brownells Search : Handgun Parts : Autoloading Pistol Parts : Springs : Taurus PT-99 Springs - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Wolff Trigger Conversion Unit Beretta 92, 96 Taurus PT92, PT99 Reduced Power - MidwayUSA

Sorry ya'll I meant to say model 94. It's a revolver .22 L.R. Its my dyslexia working over time..

mtnsmith

stalkingbear 06-16-2010 03:37 AM

Is it a small frame or medium/large frame gun? I don't show a spring kit for the Taurus model 94. I'd advise taking it to your local gunsmith for an action tune. If you try the old trick of clipping coils off the mainspring it's too darn easy to go too far.

danf_fl 06-16-2010 06:53 AM

+1 on Stalkingbear.

NGIB 06-16-2010 11:22 AM

I had a 94 for a time and the DA pull is terrible. Everything I've read leads me to believe that any spring that lightens the pull will cause ignition problems. I pulled the side plate and cleaned a lot of gunk out of mine, lubed it, and it got marginally better. Dry firing a zillion times would help as well but be sure to use snap caps. Bottom line is I've never heard of any modifications that work to get a good DA pull and keep the gun reliable. I sold mine and bought a S&W...