Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Taurus 66 side plate question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Taurus 66 side plate question

I have a Taurus 66 4 inch barrel, made in 1987. Im having an issue with getting the side plate back on. I will admit from what I've read I may have the screws messed up. They all appear to be the same length but I'm no gunsmith. If I lay the side plate on with the thing that rotates the cylinder no in the gun it lays great. If I put that in it lays funny. And when I tighten the screws I can't pull the trigger or cock the hammer. I have to back the screws out a bit at a time to relieve tension then its fine BUT at least one screw is very loose. WHAT AM I DOIN WRONG!?!?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've never had that problem. Can you take some close up pics? Are you sure you're installing the hand/pawl right?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm pretty sure I am. Ill try to get some pics soon. When I tighten the screws the trigger wont pull. If I start to back the screws out ut will move. If the screws are loose u can pull the trigger all day. If u start to tighten them up its ok till there nice and tight. Last night I tightened them untill it wouldn't pull, backed them out till I could then just barely started to move the screws back in. Then I got a sweet spot to wear it had trigger pull and the screws are semi tight. Only problem is on dry firing you can watch one of the screws move.