support question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > support question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default support question

I have a customer who thinks that it is possible to re-chamber his Savage M24 series in 30WCF over 12 ga too a 308 WCF....I'm saying no way, chamber pressure is well above what the action can handle. Arguing, that his friend has loaded very hot 30WCF's, and they had no problem; but still...I think even a 300 Savage would be stretching the action. Reason being, his friend wont be loading the spritzer bullets etc, but with Hornaday flex tips why bother. The rifle is very accurate the way it is...I need some input he guys to show this guy it is not a safe thing to do.

"A man with rust on his gun, is man without honor"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21423 Times on 12159 Posts
Likes Given: 53379

Quote:
Originally Posted by McX358 View Post
I have a customer who thinks that it is possible to re-chamber his Savage M24 series in 30WCF over 12 ga too a 308 WCF....I'm saying no way, chamber pressure is well above what the action can handle. Arguing, that his friend has loaded very hot 30WCF's, and they had no problem; but still...I think even a 300 Savage would be stretching the action. Reason being, his friend wont be loading the spritzer bullets etc, but with Hornaday flex tips why bother. The rifle is very accurate the way it is...I need some input he guys to show this guy it is not a safe thing to do.
what are the maximum pressure differences between the two cartridges?

that should be the answer to your question IMO.

most actions are proof tested beyond the cartridge they are designed to shoot. doesn't mean that it should be done on a regular basis my any means.

but if the cartridge he wants to use is pretty close to the same pressure levels as the original cartridge, then maybe it can be done.
danf_fl Likes This 
Old 06-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5514 Times on 2880 Posts
Likes Given: 358

While its possible to ream it out to 308, the 308win is substantially larger in diameter and if the gun is like any other o/u comb i doubt there is but the bare metal necessary for it to fire the 30wcf safely. Reaming it out would likely leave the chamber walls to thin to be safe.

Personally i wouldnt run that risk as a gunsmith. When your converting calibers its usually in the same cartridge family. What he is asking is similar to reaming out a 9mm barrel to 45acp...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1520 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 532

He should be able to see there are no locking lugs on the M24 to support the additional pressure that the 308 winchester is going to create. He has a nice gun now. Why screw it up?

Let him look up the definition of CUP - Then compare the two calibers.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8734 Times on 3776 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

30-30 has a SAAMI pressure spec of 42,000 psi- MAX. The .308 Winchester has a pressure spec of 62,000 psi.

So, reaming out a chamber a LOT- leaving thin chamber walls- and jumping the pressure to 147% of the level it was designed for- this would be a good idea because.....???

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 06-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2802 Times on 1620 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

When the cost of conversion equals the cost of a new firearm in the caliber I want, then the decision is made for me.

I agree that the customer should be make aware of maximum pressure.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #7

Liked 233 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If your customer wants a .308 to reach out, proly ought to get a platform that helps with that.

The ergonomics, trigger and sights of the Savage 24 IMHO are pretty bad (as a shotgun or as a rifle). Outside of some nostalgic reasons I see no reason to own one.

Better served having a shotgun and a rifle, two rigs, not a poor compromise of each rolled into one.

Some folks like the M24, and they hold a decent value. Better to leave it as is and use it, or leave it as is............to sell and buy something else.

Last edited by Hookeye; 06-07-2014 at 06:46 PM.