Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   The stupid S&W revolver safety lock.. again I am sure (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/stupid-s-w-revolver-safety-lock-again-i-am-sure-71139/)

sebbie 08-26-2012 03:11 AM

The stupid S&W revolver safety lock.. again I am sure

A while back sprained my wrist badly and could not operate the slide on my G31. I bought a S&W 686+ 3inch for one handed interim use. Its a lovely gun, rosewood grips & great SS finish and is more accurate than I ever expected. I have had no problems with the gun lock with the 300 rds of Rem 125 jhp I have put through it but I want it gone. Is there an aftermarket "filler piece" or do I have to machine one myself.

Thanks

danf_fl 08-26-2012 11:40 AM

With our society rampant on litigation, I do not suggest disabling any safety device on any firearm.

25-5 08-26-2012 10:46 PM

Trade it in on an older model. They are well made and many available in good shape.

sebbie 08-27-2012 05:11 AM

The thing shoots too good to trade in. I have heard the arguments on not modifying this bogus "safety feature." However S&W explains this device on their manual as an accessory I believe, and strongly words it not to be depended on to safe the gun. It was designed to meet a political requirement not a legislated one, although it was mostly stupid management at S&W the put it on in the first place. A good lawyer could argue the wording as an accessory not a safety. Taking ammo out of a gun is considered the only viable safe in transporting guns in some states. Locking this gun using that lock with ammo in would not qualify because of S&W manual's wording. Try carrying loaded with the lock on in Ill or Cal and off to jail you go. So my choice is possible failure and loss of my life or litigation. Ummm what should I do? What should I worry about? But I do thank you for the input and concern. Its just another tired old thing to ponder in this very stupid world. Thanks again:)

danf_fl 08-27-2012 01:05 PM

Although there may not be any criminal activity in removing a safety device, there is always the possibility of civil lawsuits.

sebbie 08-27-2012 02:47 PM

:rolleyes:

"Death by tea cup. Why didn't I think of that."

You can be sued for wearing a necklace with a Cross on it at an atheist's convention. So whats new?

Overkill0084 08-27-2012 03:10 PM

I found the safety on my 627 offensive/irritating at first. Then I noticed something, with a proper sight picture, you can't see it. :D Many guns these days come with a locking feature of some sort. I toss the keys in the box along with the stupid cable locks and forget about them. While probably not completely unheard of, gun locks self locking themselves or otherwise malfunctioning are quite rare.

sebbie 08-27-2012 03:16 PM

I agree with that. But you know the luck of the Irish! And I am very Irish:)