Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Stumped

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stumped

I shoot several AR-15s/AR-10s and M-14s. I just replaced my barrel on the AR-10T with a Krieger Mweight fluted 26". The rifle will not extract/eject spent cases. It looks like the bolt just barely manages to start unlocking but doesn't. Rifle was working fine with old barrel just that the group size was opening up after about 15,000 rnds, yes I shoot alot.

I have checked everything from gastube alignment to ensuring that the gas port was drilled all the way through the top of the barrel. I can't figure this out at all. Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Ammo? Are you shooting reloads? If so, your old cases are sized for your old chamber, which is why you could be having an issue...

Old 08-15-2009, 12:44 AM   #3

Gas port is too small. Measure your original barrel gas port as a point of reference. Carefully enlarge your port drilling carefully on a drill press until you are thru the outside diameter...not into the rifling on the other side .
If unsure...take it to a gunsmith.

They intentionally come with an undersized gas port.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #4

Default ammo

It does this with all ammo. I thought maybe the chamber was too tight but the go guage closes fine with the no-go not closing. Tried factory, mil surp, even resized some cases .005 below SAMI all with the same results.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post

They intentionally come with an undersized gas port.
Really??

I had not heard that before. I respect your experience and am not trying to question you, but is there a reason they would do that??

JD

Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #6

Default Gas port

I've had to drill out the port on a few FAL's after putting a 16 - 18 inch barrel on them but this is the first on a AR-10 that I've had act this way. I've used several Kreiger barrels on my m-14 this is the first one on an AR-10T. Why would the port be too small from Kreiger?

Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #7

Default More checks

Gas port in the barrel is .092 so its actually a little larger than factory garrel. Went so far today as to change the buffer spring with one out of a AR-15. Still no luck. Any more suggestions?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
I shoot several AR-15s/AR-10s and M-14s. I just replaced my barrel on the AR-10T with a Krieger Mweight fluted 26". The rifle will not extract/eject spent cases. It looks like the bolt just barely manages to start unlocking but doesn't. Rifle was working fine with old barrel just that the group size was opening up after about 15,000 rnds, yes I shoot alot.

I have checked everything from gastube alignment to ensuring that the gas port was drilled all the way through the top of the barrel. I can't figure this out at all. Any suggestions?
Check the barrel extension? The locking recesses may hold the answer. When you fire a round, the cartridge case changes dimensionally. This may magnify an issue with locking lug/recess dimensions. Too tight to fully disengage, perhaps? Just a guess....

Newest Threads