Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > stock splitting causes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.
Default stock splitting causes

two questions;
1) have you ever actually seen stock splitting anywhere on a gun? I have not.
2) what is the basic cause of stock splitting?

I can fix a split, but the underlying cause is what is getting me. I suspect a loose connection between the breech and stock via a loose breech bolt.

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2014, 02:26 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1744 Times on 949 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Poor fit of the wood to the action can leave a stress point which will cause a stock to split. I have had it happen. Also on heavy calibers the recoil lug can eventually cause enough stress to split the stock which is why you see cross pins in some rifles.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

hiwall Likes This 
Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 AM   #3

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Poor fit of the wood to the action can leave a stress point which will cause a stock to split. I have had it happen. Also on heavy calibers the recoil lug can eventually cause enough stress to split the stock which is why you see cross pins in some rifles.
Can you define heavy? And would at what point, or at what chambering, would a lug be necessary?

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:19 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20073 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50626

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybock View Post
Can you define heavy? And would at what point, or at what chambering, would a lug be necessary?
most all rifle have a recoil lug. some it just prevents any movement fore or aft. but on some rifles, it does help to arrest recoil and transfer it to the stock. the chambering is irrelevent, since even my 17 HMR has a recoil lug. even my 204 Ruger has a recoil lug.

there are many different things that can cause a stock to split or crack and recoil, or heavy recoil is only one of them. poor wood to metal fit as JTJ mentioned is one. defects within the wood itself is another cause. age of the wood can cause it to split or crack.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

I agree with what he said up there- poor fit wood to metal. Rarely, poor design. Older firearms, excessive oiling, which drains down into the wood right behind the tang, softening the wood.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5687 Times on 2816 Posts
Likes Given: 6046

I had an old mossy hangfire drawing down on a grouse on a really cold day once, went to draw back and it went off, flew 5' behind me and broke the stock! Screwed, Doweled and glued it and have used it for 35 years since. That was my fault not the guns....

Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #7

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts

A common cause is bad wood. Especially highly figured wood.

Another is physical forces the stock was never designed to withstand (using it like a club or falling on it)

Another is as said above improper fit.

Another is a big change in climate. A stock made in a state with typically high humidity going to a state with very low humidity causing the wood to shrink more and split. It can also work the other way around though less often.