Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > stock and bedding project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default stock and bedding project.

I have a savage 110 chambered in 30-06. I want to put something like a medalist stock on it. Something that is somewhat light though since I tend to walk a lot when hunting with it. I want something with 2 studs in front for sling and bipod or a 1913 rail out front. I want to have a nice bedding on the stock because I plan to push out to 800 yds with this rifle.

do no harm, do know harm

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #2

Likes Given: 3

Default stock replacement

I am just finishing up a re stock on a win M70 I got last summer. It's a 22-250 and I don't know how many people owned it before I got it but the inside of the stock was trashed! They even ruined the trigger trying to"make it better".
I have a Lyman pull gauge and it measured 5lbs14OZ! I took it to my smith buddy and he recommended a Rifle basix trigger which he knew I could do that myself! $99 dollar trigger but it was worth it! It now breaks clean with no over travel at 15OZ, and passed all the safety tests. I stock I have for it now is a Boyd's thumbhole,(I have one on my CZ452 as well) it the pepper laminate and I pillar bedded the recoil area, I didn't feel comfortable about doing the tang area
since there wasn't much wood there! So far I have 4 coat of Cabots polyurethane on the stock and I'm going to wet sand it today and then put 4 more on today!I think 12 coats total will make a good finish. Anyway if you want a stock with three studs on it mine came that way, and they do have reasonable precises! Just a thought! Doud

Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #3

Ok, how much was it and how heavy is it? My savage has the accutrigger and breaks beautifully. I love the way it shoots but I took a bad fall last season and the stock got pretty beat up.

do no harm, do know harm

Old 03-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #4

Likes Given: 3

Default Got the

Stock for $99 dollars and got it all done last night. The stock goes about 3 pounds and a rifle with a sporter barrel would probably weigh about 7 pounds total and with a sling you wouldn't have too much to carry. Mine has a bull barrel on it and probably weighs around 12 pounds! Take a look!

yes it is heavy! tomorrow I hope to take it out and see how it does! When I got this rifle i was beat up pretty bad I have basically rebuilt it!
This being a thumbhole it came with three studs, and I'm sure if you contacted them they would install an extra stud for you. I didn't care for the finish on it, so I refinished it as well. I used urethane, and I think I should have used Tru-Oil instead, but I didn't want to change the stock color. But I can live with it! Doug