Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Stevens 5100 trigger question - I need some help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stevens 5100 trigger question - I need some help!

Hello,

As a favor to my father-in-law I've been restoring his 1949 Stevens 5100 double barrel side-by-side. I disassembled it and sent the metal off to be re-blued and ordered new stocks from Boyd’s. I did not disassemble the receiver portion.

I’ve got it all back together yesterday but in testing it unloaded I can’t seem to figure out how the triggers/hammers get cocked after firing. If I remove the stock I can access the hammers and pull those back and it resets the trigger. But if I dry-fire it, break open the barrels to simulate a reload, and close the barrels again, the triggers don’t reset.

I’ve never worked on a shotgun before, only using my 870 for light hunting. Any advice on how this is supposed to work would be appreciated.

I examined how the barrels, forend, and receiver mate and function when opening and closing and I think I have a better understanding now. I think that with this Stevens (and maybe the Savage 311s?) that when you break it open and then close it there is a beveled rod that protrudes from the receiver that moves up and down kind of like a teeter-totter. I'm guessing that this action somehow resets the hammers but although it seems to be engaging properly with the forend/barrel assembly it's still not resetting the triggers.

It's possible that it wasn't working when I got it. Perhaps a trip to the smith might be in order.

Monterey...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds like the "recocking levers" either was left out, is broke, or was broken/missing to begin with. The smith that blued it should have caught this during disassembly/reassembly. I'd recommend you take it to a smith.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!