Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > STEN mk2 _Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default STEN mk2 _Barrel

HI guys; I have a sten mk2 gun which is semi-auto ; the proplem is that the barrel got broken because of a car accident( luckily I survived ) and in my country it is hard to find a suitable barrel for such an old gun and while I was searching for a solution I read some books about some expedient guns that have barrels made from hydraulic tubes (15.88*3.25mm SMT) which is 15.88mm (outer diameter) and 3.25mm (wall thick) {Infact I don’t know what SMT means!} ;
My questions are : How practical is this method!
What are the heat treating needed for the barrel!
What kind of reamer do you advise me to buy !
HOW much does it cost!
Which kind is best!
Have anybody of you guys tried it and what was the result!
I hope to receive your answers : safwa92@gmail.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #2

Liked 1091 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Sten barrels, or for that matter, complete, demilled Sten kits are available, and they are cheap. Why not just buy a barrel? There are also 16" commercial Sten barrels available for folks who are building legal semi-auto Stens. I would have thought that in a car accident the receiver would have been damaged long before the barrel, but strange things happen in accidents.

If it is illegal where you live to purchase a barrel, I would wonder if it was illegal to make one as well.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 11-24-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8391 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

One problem with an expedient barrel- it will be a smoothbore unless you have access to the tools to rifle a barrel. Accuracy with a smoothbore will be about as good as a thrown chair.

I believe in this case SMT is Seamless Metallic Tubing, but will not swear to that.

Reamer- depends on caliber you are chambering for. Remember that most auto pistol rounds headspace off the mouth of the case, and that dimension would be your critical spec.

Subtracting wall thickness from OD, think you will have a 9.38 mm bore- in English measurements, about .369, wich is rather oversized- standard 9mm pabellum bore actually mikes out at .355 (although some European guns mike out at .358) So if you are using 9mm Parabellum, rather large, unrifled. Ungood.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 11-24-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #4

Thank you very very much c3shooter and as afavor you can send me the drawings(2D) of any three parts you want and I will send them back to you after drawing them in (3D) using of solid works FOR FREE
I think you are gona be a good friend : safwa92@gmail.com

Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
One problem with an expedient barrel- it will be a smoothbore unless you have access to the tools to rifle a barrel. Accuracy with a smoothbore will be about as good as a thrown chair.

I believe in this case SMT is Seamless Metallic Tubing, but will not swear to that.

Reamer- depends on caliber you are chambering for. Remember that most auto pistol rounds headspace off the mouth of the case, and that dimension would be your critical spec.

Subtracting wall thickness from OD, think you will have a 9.38 mm bore- in English measurements, about .369, wich is rather oversized- standard 9mm pabellum bore actually mikes out at .355 (although some European guns mike out at .358) So if you are using 9mm Parabellum, rather large, unrifled. Ungood.
Thank you very very much c3shooter and as afavor you can send me the drawings(2D) of any three parts you want and I will send them back to you after drawing them in (3D) using of solid works FOR FREE
I think you are gona be a good friend

Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #6

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alard17 View Post
HI guys; I have a sten mk2 gun which is semi-auto ; the proplem is that the barrel got broken because of a car accident( luckily I survived ) and in my country it is hard to find a suitable barrel for such an old gun and while I was searching for a solution I read some books about some expedient guns that have barrels made from hydraulic tubes (15.88*3.25mm SMT) which is 15.88mm (outer diameter) and 3.25mm (wall thick) {Infact I don’t know what SMT means!} ;
My questions are : How practical is this method!
What are the heat treating needed for the barrel!
What kind of reamer do you advise me to buy !
HOW much does it cost!
Which kind is best!
Have anybody of you guys tried it and what was the result!
I hope to receive your answers : safwa92@gmail.com
well boss, here's the truth.
BAD IDEA!
the word 'expedient' is used as a nice replacement for 'zip-gun'. These homemade guns are made from plumbing supplies and often explode in the hand of the user after four shots or so.

If you have any books that teach you how to make these firearms, shun them like the plague.

The vast bulk of gun barrels made from the early 1900s to today are from an alloy of carbon steel called 4140. This alloy, as I've been quoted, is $10 US per foot of 1.5 inch wide (3.25 cm) bar stock.

This special steel is easy enough to find worldwide, as it is used in some tools. There is no safe substitute. Think about it this way -
if a pipe will burst due to a clog and cold weather, wouldn't it shatter and explode if you tried setting of the explosive force of smokeless powder in it?

To make a gun barrel you'll need a metal lathe with a boring bar attachment and a reamer. A hand reamer is good enough. Don't bother to rifle it, you'll not hunting with it and it'll be just a fun plincking tool.

The single two best resources for an up and coming gunsmith would be google books and various torrent sites, but ONLY if you can't find print books for sale in your country!

Go to google books and type in any of various words such as 'mill', 'lathe', 'shaper', etc. You can then set your option to free, and you'll have a big list of older public domain books about the work or machinists. Either read these on your computer or just a free app to download them to your computer in a PDF format.

A second resource would be kickasstorrents. you can type in 'Gingery' or 'Gunsmith'.

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.