Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Starting out (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/starting-out-60290/)

blueshield67 03-15-2012 06:59 AM

Starting out

I'm trying to get started in gunsmithing but unfortunately where I live at the only two schools around are online schools. What I wanna know is how good are online gunsmith programs and is there a better route?

mountainman13 03-15-2012 12:56 PM

If you are looking for relatively cheap. Penn foster has a good starter program. It will give you a knowledge base to start from. If you can afford it the sonoran desert institute has a more advanced program that includes hands on projects and you can then further your studies with their associates in firearms tech program. You might be able to find an nra armourers course in your area. If possible look for an apprenticeship. Nothing beats a brick and mortar school if you have the $60k. Any of the other correspondance courses are just bs. Agi does have great videos to pick up on the side.

Ultimate_sig 03-15-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
If you are looking for relatively cheap. Penn foster has a good starter program. It will give you a knowledge base to start from. If you can afford it the sonoran desert institute has a more advanced program that includes hands on projects and you can then further your studies with their associates in firearms tech program. You might be able to find an nra armourers course in your area. If possible look for an apprenticeship. Nothing beats a brick and mortar school if you have the $60k. Any of the other correspondance courses are just bs. Agi does have great videos to pick up on the side.

If you go to one of those schools how much would you make a year. For me its either a cop or a gunsmith

mountainman13 03-15-2012 06:48 PM

You would still need an apprenticeship unless you opened a dealership and just swapped parts.

mountainman13 03-15-2012 06:50 PM

Sonoran deserts classes would open you up to make decent money. If you are interested in making money you should go for something else. If you are passionate about working on guns and can wait to developed your skills and business before really making money then go for gunsmithing.

blueshield67 03-15-2012 07:06 PM

Where can you get information for the Sonoran deserts program? I've looked for it but can't find it online.

blueshield67 03-15-2012 07:25 PM

I found it and that is an awesome program even has hands on training. Appreciate the help.

mountainman13 03-15-2012 08:13 PM

You're very welcome

Ultimate_sig 03-15-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
Sonoran deserts classes would open you up to make decent money. If you are interested in making money you should go for something else. If you are passionate about working on guns and can wait to developed your skills and business before really making money then go for gunsmithing.

Gunsmithing does have its perks right, like dirt cheap guns, do your own gunsmithing and you can get into competitive shooting right?

mountainman13 03-15-2012 10:57 PM

You can take advantage of some discounts and you make connections that can make it easier to find things. Doesn't really have anything to do with competitive shooting unless your doing the mods for people.