starting new
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > starting new

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default starting new

Hello everyone. I just got out of the Marine Corps and guns are my passion. I currently have a job as an aircraft mechanic for Delta airlines but want to start a gun maintenance shop. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2013, 03:45 AM   #2

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Hello from another Jarhead. I'm wanting to do the same, as I understand an FFL license is required of you will be having customer firearms overnight and proper security measures also need to ne taken which will most likely depend on local regulations.

I'll ne watching this thread for better information than I can provide.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1547

Welcome aboard Marine!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

What is "gun maintenance"? Could the Hussein Obama administration have been on to something [sarcasm alert]?

"The possible passage of new restrictions on firearms and the return of military veterans facing significant challenges reintegrating into their communities could lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lone wolf extremists capable of carrying out violent attacks."
DHS April 2009 Report on Rightwing Extremists/Domestic Terrorists

Is it like giving enlisted men my guns to clean!?

Old 02-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21984 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Hock, i believe they actually wanted some real answers versus a smart alec remark from someone like you. some people actually come on the forum to learn, please bea little more respectful of that.

DevilDog, we have several members that are gunsmiths here on the forum and maybe they can point you in the right direction beter than i can. but i will venture that possibly according to ATF regulations, that could fall under the auspices of gunsmithing and i am fairly certain that does require an FFL to do legally if engaged in the pursuit of business. so if you are wanting to do this as a business, and are charging for it, yes you probably need an FFL.

a good source of information is the ATF website.

welcome to the forum and welcome home. thank you for your service.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice! Hock I dont appreciate your comment but I fought for you to have the right to speak your mind so way to exercise that privilege. I will keep researching and let you guys know what the legality of it is.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome here from Oregon and thank you for your service. Best wishes for success.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1470

Welcome- glad you found your way here!

To answer your question, yes, that falls under gunsmithing, and yes, it does need a FFL.

To GET a FFL, you must be capable of BUYING a handgun, intend to "engage in the business" of buying and selling, or working on guns, and meet all local and state requirements. That will include zoning, business license, etc. You WILL need to be able to show secure storage of guns left with you. That CAN be a room with a lock on the door, or a safe.

Gunsmithing can include repairs, mounting scopes, cleaning, refinishing stocks, etc.

And DO spend some time reading the ATF website. Yes, it can be done from home IF it will meet zoning requirements.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you so much for the info. I couldn't get a straight answer until now!

Old 02-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Thanks c3, somehow I knew you'd show up. With all the new shooters and some old ones, cleaning firearms and minor repairs, changing a few parts and such is going to be big business. I do these things now but usually the customer is waiting and regardless I don't keep anything more than a few hours.

Thanks for your service DevilDog. It is appreciated. I was discharged in 84 and have grown a very thick skin where people like Hock are concerned.