Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   starting new (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/starting-new-83850/)

DevilDog4life99 02-10-2013 01:50 AM

starting new

Hello everyone. I just got out of the Marine Corps and guns are my passion. I currently have a job as an aircraft mechanic for Delta airlines but want to start a gun maintenance shop. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me?

srtolly1 02-10-2013 03:45 AM

Hello from another Jarhead. I'm wanting to do the same, as I understand an FFL license is required of you will be having customer firearms overnight and proper security measures also need to ne taken which will most likely depend on local regulations.

I'll ne watching this thread for better information than I can provide.

DFlynt 02-10-2013 03:47 AM

Welcome aboard Marine!

HockaLouis 02-10-2013 04:06 AM

What is "gun maintenance"? Could the Hussein Obama administration have been on to something [sarcasm alert]?

"The possible passage of new restrictions on firearms and the return of military veterans facing significant challenges reintegrating into their communities could lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lone wolf extremists capable of carrying out violent attacks."
DHS April 2009 Report on Rightwing Extremists/Domestic Terrorists

Is it like giving enlisted men my guns to clean!?

Axxe55 02-10-2013 04:23 AM

Hock, i believe they actually wanted some real answers versus a smart alec remark from someone like you. some people actually come on the forum to learn, please bea little more respectful of that.

DevilDog, we have several members that are gunsmiths here on the forum and maybe they can point you in the right direction beter than i can. but i will venture that possibly according to ATF regulations, that could fall under the auspices of gunsmithing and i am fairly certain that does require an FFL to do legally if engaged in the pursuit of business. so if you are wanting to do this as a business, and are charging for it, yes you probably need an FFL.

a good source of information is the ATF website.

welcome to the forum and welcome home. thank you for your service.

DevilDog4life99 02-10-2013 04:47 AM

Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice! Hock I dont appreciate your comment but I fought for you to have the right to speak your mind so way to exercise that privilege. I will keep researching and let you guys know what the legality of it is.

CA357 02-10-2013 04:47 AM

Welcome here from Oregon and thank you for your service. Best wishes for success.

c3shooter 02-10-2013 12:07 PM

Welcome- glad you found your way here!

To answer your question, yes, that falls under gunsmithing, and yes, it does need a FFL.

To GET a FFL, you must be capable of BUYING a handgun, intend to "engage in the business" of buying and selling, or working on guns, and meet all local and state requirements. That will include zoning, business license, etc. You WILL need to be able to show secure storage of guns left with you. That CAN be a room with a lock on the door, or a safe.

Gunsmithing can include repairs, mounting scopes, cleaning, refinishing stocks, etc.

And DO spend some time reading the ATF website. Yes, it can be done from home IF it will meet zoning requirements.

DevilDog4life99 02-10-2013 01:05 PM

Thank you so much for the info. I couldn't get a straight answer until now!

srtolly1 02-10-2013 02:28 PM

Thanks c3, somehow I knew you'd show up. With all the new shooters and some old ones, cleaning firearms and minor repairs, changing a few parts and such is going to be big business. I do these things now but usually the customer is waiting and regardless I don't keep anything more than a few hours.

Thanks for your service DevilDog. It is appreciated. I was discharged in 84 and have grown a very thick skin where people like Hock are concerned.