Starting my new business. - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Starting my new business.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts

Il try to answer everyone's replies.
I live in a very small house with no garage or basement with my wife and 4 kids (it's temporary till we can build a addition). My shop is in about a 12' by 8' shed, it's pretty cramped, I'll have to post some pics to show you guys what I'm working with. So for now a bluing set up , bead blasting , or a separate oven for bake on finished is not a option.
This week I am going to try to convert my business from sole proprietor to a LLC, I am still trying to set up liability insurance, I tried to get a quote from the NRA endorsed insurance program but they don't seem to be very good with returning phone calls. Plus I am still in the process of writing up a business plan. Really all I have is a price list I worked out. So until I get everything else in order I don't think I am going to do much more than handing out business cards around town. I have four or five jobs lined up through next month . So I think I'm good for now.
Thank you again for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #32

Liked 837 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Hey it sounds to me that you have your ducks in a row. You seem to be taking a practical approach and my bet is you will do fine!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hey GS allow me to chime in really quick.. A couple months ago I started RC Gunworks LLC.. That is my firearm restoration / refinishing business. After several years of doing the same thing you've been doing as a hobby and doing work for co-workers and friends I decided to go pro and open my own shop. I've got my Type 01 FFL (which is required to be a licensed gunsmith) and all the equipment I need "right now"... It took me a long time to get what I've got and I see the need to buy more every time a new or repeat client comes in. My shop is also run from my home (shop in back of property) which required that I get permission from my city gov. I can perform pretty much any firearm finish a client would like including hot caustic bluing but I prefer the slow rust blue which is more durable in my opinion.

C3 already posted that you should have business cards to pass along. To that you may want to consider going on-line with a web site.. Check mine out at: www.rcgunworksllc.com Nothing fancy but it will help get you business. Also.. reach out to the social media stuff like twitter and facebook.. Amazing the kinda press you can get from that. Canvas the local gun shops.. tell them what you can do and bring pictures or a sample of your work to show you are a serious craftsman and not just a shade tree gunsmith.. Everybody tinkers.. This is a business you are gonna want to make money at.. You must decide too is this is to be a business or just a hobby cause when word gets around, you will get busy. And the first time you drop the ball and piss off a client, you're done..

I wish you all the luck in the world. I've not made a profit yet, but I am getting more clients each week.. LOL I dropped off a few cards at the shop where I get my haircut and so far I've gotten two new clients and 4 new guns to work on. Most everyone who's posted is right about the kind of work you will see most: Cleaning and parts replacements. If you've not already done so, make sure you have accounts set up with folks like Numrich and Brownells.. There are also several vendors that specialize in hard to get or obsolete parts for older firearms.. Research the internet and acquire schematics, books and anything else you can get on every gun you can think of. Remember also, the internet is your friend! Use it like you did here for advice and information...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #34

Liked 1333 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 857

TOM, I like your site. Doesn't have to be fancy. Sometimes being easy to read, and having all the info you're interested in counts for more, IMO. It's also attractive. I like the colors. Did you use GoDaddy & the like, or go with someone to build it for you?
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:46 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
TOM, I like your site. Doesn't have to be fancy. Sometimes being easy to read, and having all the info you're interested in counts for more, IMO. It's also attractive. I like the colors. Did you use GoDaddy & the like, or go with someone to build it for you?
Thanks for the compliment.. I used GoDaddy. For me it was about saving money. My total was like $47 for 2 years which included exposure in the top search engines. They have 24/7 tech support which is free. They've got several nice templates one of which was the basis for my site.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts

Thank you Hiwall and TheOldMan. I checked out your website, I too agree, very we'll put together. Plus it's good to know about the price and advertising through go daddy. That will come in handy when the time comes to set up a website.
For now I'm a little reserved on advertising until I get insured and my business plan written up. I finally got a hold of the insurance company endorsed through the NRA and apparently I need to have my structure insured first (renters insurance) before they can write up a policy. So I'm working that out now .But for now I have a couple simple jobs lined up. In a few months the hunting seasons open up around here and I will have more to do ( thanks to my full time job, I have been able to get set up with a lot of hunters).
Thank you again for all the advice, if I haven't mentioned them in my long posts, I have read them, and if I haven't already done it, or it doesn't apply to my situation , I will definitely consider them.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Axxe55 Likes This