Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   star firestar (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/star-firestar-11421/)

upman43 03-01-2009 05:32 PM

star firestar

My dad recently bught a Star Firestar M43 9mm. He is having trouble with it jamming on about the 3rd shot of every mag. We are thinking maybe extractor and spring, any other suggesttions ? He has shot Rem. and Win. USA ammo, both jam.

stalkingbear 03-02-2009 01:41 PM

You need to define "jamming" and break it down into fail-to-feed, fail-to-extract, fail-to-eject before we can help you. Until then we don't know what the problem is.

crockett007 03-10-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upman43 (Post 76625)
My dad recently bught a Star Firestar M43 9mm. He is having trouble with it jamming on about the 3rd shot of every mag. We are thinking maybe extractor and spring, any other suggesttions ? He has shot Rem. and Win. USA ammo, both jam.

IMHO - Star = FAIL. Quality is bad. You could probably install factory new parts and come up with the same unreliable firearm. Think about it, how many raving threads have you seen praising Star products.? I could go on but you get the idea. Even the most gifted gunsmith cannot overcome inferior materials in the base gun. DX the FireJammer.

7.62 Man 03-26-2009 04:02 AM

My Star Firestar .40 S&W works great enough to be my CCW.
In other words I will put my life on the reliability of this gun.

ladyM 03-26-2009 04:08 AM

7.62 , Do you really value your life that little ?

big shrek 03-27-2009 05:00 AM

Star's can be really reliable or problematic...much like a Ruger Vaquero ;) The Spanish Illbari police carried Stars for decades...quite reliable.

I carried a Star Model 30 (9mm) for MANY years as my backup duty weapon...in case my issue revolver didn't have enough rounds for the application at hand. Good thing I'm a rather large guy (Bull from Night Court-sized) and can hide mid-size pistols easily. It used to be a challenge to see how many weapons we could hide on our person without being obtrusive.

The only time I ever had any issues with it was when I used the bucket reloads that they gave us to practice with at the range...when using good quality ammo, I had no issues at ALL.

Biggest issue was keeping it in magazines...magazine springs seemed to only last for three-four years before they'd give up...but we're also talking about two thousand rounds a year practice on average.

With a used Star, the main thing is to clean the living daylights out of it as soon as you get it home, make sure the feed ramp has no burrs, grease the rails with a good lithium grease, check/clean the ejector, and use good quality ammo...or high-quality reloads that You Yourself make. Other than that, problems are few & far between after you get it cycling properly.

I DO NOT like Remington basic bulk ammo, but Remington PREMIUM tends to work a lot better.

I don't think I've ever used Winchester 9mm...

stalkingbear 03-27-2009 11:47 AM

Big shrek-what problems have you had with Ruger Vaqueros? IMO they're the most idiot proof single action (along with Blackhawks) revolver and the strongest in their class. I've worked on dozens of Ruger single action revolvers and all but 2 were elective upgrades-not repairs.

WILDCATT 04-08-2009 03:35 PM

star

colt sold star 25 acp for yrs,till they could not import them.I have a star model D and this was to be the colt pony.the serial number on mine shows it to have been one of them.stars were good guns. many guns will fail I have seen colt 1911s that werent junk but they were not reliable till worked on.even gold cup 45s.:rolleyes:

mit 02-09-2010 04:01 AM

I had one of the original firestar 9mm. I don't think there was 1 clip I put through that p.o.s. without at least 1 jam. I cured that problem by buying a Glock.

Dzscubie 02-09-2010 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mit (Post 227089)
I had one of the original firestar 9mm. I don't think there was 1 clip I put through that p.o.s. without at least 1 jam. I cured that problem by buying a Glock.

Mit...... that is a magazine not a clip :mad: