spring questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > spring questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Default spring questions

Have a couple of unrelated spring questions and appreciate any input:

AR - when I pull the charging handle I can hear the recoil buffer spring, I realize its harmless but it sounds like a pogo stick. Would a little lube or grease quiet it down or should I invest in a different buffer or spring?

CZ-75 Compact - second spring question is the about the guide rod spring on a cz compact...the thing feels like its about 18 lbs or so which really makes for a tight slide on a compact. Is it safe to trim a coil or 2 off or is there a lighter spring available. Also, would replacing the plastic guide rod make a difference?

Thanks

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2882 Times on 1664 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

On the CZ-75, do not cut the spring. The spring is designed as a recoil spring, not a "give the owner a hard time working the slide" item.

A firearm is designed to work as a unit. Changing an item in the unit can and will affect other parts of the unit.

On your other firearm, remember that grease or oil on a spring can and will collect powder residue and other nasties that can and will affect function.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is a product called dry lube you can use on the buffer spring.

What is really wrong with your CZ spring. Probably nothing. Unless you are a qualified gunsmith don't mess with it. Cutting your spring down will give you more problems that you have now.

If you feel it's to much for you to pull back the slide you might want to trade for a revolver. Please do not take this the wrong way.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
AR - when I pull the charging handle I can hear the recoil buffer spring, I realize its harmless but it sounds like a pogo stick. Would a little lube or grease quiet it down or should I invest in a different buffer or spring?
Is the gun new?

Can you hear it when the bolt cycles during firing?

Shoot the snot out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
CZ-75 Compact - second spring question is the about the guide rod spring on a cz compact...the thing feels like its about 18 lbs or so which really makes for a tight slide on a compact. Is it safe to trim a coil or 2 off or is there a lighter spring available. Also, would replacing the plastic guide rod make a difference?
Is the gun new?

Does the gun run? (cycle properly? no FTF-FTE issues during firing?)

Shoot the snot out of it!

Both of the above issues should have been discovered prior to purchase. If the issues are of concern, they should be resolved before you release the cash!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

The SPROING!! of the ar buffer spring going back and forth is normal. Its just how they are. Its one of the things i love about the ar15.

As for the cz dont change the spring. If your having a hard time cycling it then you need to pick a different ccw piece. Small semiautos have strong recoil springs because they dont have much slide mass. The shorter the slide the stronger the spring is going to be relative to larger versions of the same gun in the same caliber. Lightening the spring can lead to frame/slide cracks or failures and possible fail to feed issues

The guide rod i would leave alone unless its showing signs of wear.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-25-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Thanks guys. The CZ is new. The AR I built the lower and was just curious if the sproing sound was normal or not with certain buffer and stock configurations. Neither guns functioning is affected by it. The cz is my only compact and is just noticably stiffer.

I like Cane's advice...I'll let the gun do the work and shoot the snot out of it.

Thanks again

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

The cool thing is that as you get more used to the way the ar works that sproing or lack of lets you know instantly when your mag is empty.

The feel of it not going forward is also distinctive as the rifle will gently push your hand back then gently pull forward as it loads a new round.

It also gives a lot of subtle feedback. If your in tune with the ar you can tell if something isnt right just from the feel and sounds its making.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

As stated before, do not cut, clip or trim springs. EVER! There is a delicate balance between slide/bolt-carrier mass and spring strength. Messing with that will (at best) cause malfunctions or (at worst) cause a breakage of a vital part.

Oiling the buffer spring on an AR will do nothing to quiet the sproing. It will just give the grit and grime a place to stick and accumulate, eventually causing function issues. After a while you will hardly notice the sound.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball