Spanish Mauser 93
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Spanish Mauser 93

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Spanish Mauser 93

I may have a chance to acquire a Spanish M93 carbine in payment for rebluing several rifles. The M93 lacks a bolt sleeve shroud and lock in it's design. Can either be installed? The rifle has been truly bubba sporterized so it's lost any collectible value but it would make a really nice featherweight hunting rifle. It looks to be a 1916 rifle and probably has adequate strength steel but I would just stick with the original 7 mm unless the barrel is shot. If it is I wonder if a surplus Swede 6.5mm would easily fit the small ring receiver?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #2

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooose View Post
I may have a chance to acquire a Spanish M93 carbine in payment for rebluing several rifles. The M93 lacks a bolt sleeve shroud and lock in it's design. Can either be installed? The rifle has been truly bubba sporterized so it's lost any collectible value but it would make a really nice featherweight hunting rifle. It looks to be a 1916 rifle and probably has adequate strength steel but I would just stick with the original 7 mm unless the barrel is shot. If it is I wonder if a surplus Swede 6.5mm would easily fit the small ring receiver?
6.5x55 would be a great round for that action. 7x57 is no sloutch. The bolt face/ extractor would have to be modified slightly for 6.5x55.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #3

Leave it alone and shoot it as is 7mm Mauser is a good round.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 10-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If everything is still nice and tight, I'd leave it in 7 X 57 Mauser. Because there are still many of the old Mausers still be used, standard commercial 7 X 57 ammo will be loaded such that it won't exceed the pressures safe for the old M93's. I've had a 1916 Spanish Mauser since 1967 that I've shot many, many rounds through without a hitch. The 7mm is an excellent round for just about any game you may choose to use it on. The newer '98 models did have a better bolt design, but '93's were still adequate.

This is what your rifle looked like before Bubba got it:

mauser01.jpg  

Old 10-20-2010, 02:12 AM   #5

That's what it originally looked like. But Bubba had at the stock and then the current owner had it stored underneath a bed in an RV that of course had a roof leak. Best I can tell is it's a 1916 from the Ovieda Spanish armory and there appears to be a 1932 production date on it. I haven't had a chance to clean the bore and get a good look at it's condition but right off the bat it's going to need to be recrowned. Looks like someone used it to drive nails. If it doesn't pass muster I'll pull the existing barrel and put on either a small ring 7x57 or 6.5x55.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:16 AM   #6

Either case I'll be reloading and would keep pressures safe. I've no desire to test out the lack of a third safety lug or the lack of a bolt shroud. Never having handled one of these before I sure was surprised at the size of the gas port on the receiver.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
Leave it alone and shoot it as is 7mm Mauser is a good round.
I stick with 7mm Mauser. Even if it needs a new barrel.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Either case I'll be reloading and would keep pressures safe. I've no desire to test out the lack of a third safety lug or the lack of a bolt shroud. Never having handled one of these before I sure was surprised at the size of the gas port on the receiver.
I own a Serbian Mauser (Mitchell's) and have another M98 on its way, the second will be stripped and rebarreled in .338 Federal, from what I know about the second one the stock and barrel are in bad shape but the action is in good to great condition. My plans are to purchase a barrel blank and do all the chambering threading and profiling on my lathe. Being a large ring action I have no concerns with a .338 Federal chambering my second choice is the 9.3mm Mauser round.

However I digress, I have an excellent book on Mauser's.

"The Mauser M91 through M98 Bolt Actions -- A Shop Manual"
Author is Jerry Kuhnhausen, 1991

I purchased it from either Midway USA or Brownells.

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #9

So what you're saying is keep it as a 7x57 and buy a Swede 96 if I want a 6.5x55? That will work. I plan on building a 9.3x62 as soon as a trade for a M98 goes thru. Bad case of the Mausers.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:53 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
So what you're saying is keep it as a 7x57 and buy a Swede 96 if I want a 6.5x55? That will work. I plan on building a 9.3x62 as soon as a trade for a M98 goes thru. Bad case of the Mausers.
Yup that's the ticket; and I am sure we could come up with a few more
ideas for more Mauser projects for you to do.

I can relate; I am a tool whore, with a gun problem. I am just not a cheap
tool whore. (I am plagarizing the last part but it is still applicable.)