Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Soldering and sight mounting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/soldering-sight-mounting-14538/)

flyingtexan 06-06-2009 04:10 PM

Soldering and sight mounting

My current (and first) project is a Remington 870. I am attempting to mount a ghost ring sight set up on it. Appearantly I need to solder the front site on the barrel. The rear is a simple drill and tap situation.

What kind of equipment do I need in order to do this and what is the technique?

I plan to refinish (guncoat, bake on) the weapon after the sight is installed, is this the proper order?

Other than the obvious prep of bead blasting and degreasinf what other prep work will I need to prepare the gun for soldering and coating?

Much thanks in advance...

jeepcreep927 06-07-2009 10:54 PM

Anything soldered on a gun, like sights, needs to be silver soldered. This will require more heat than lead/tin solder. Especially on a thin walled shotgun barrel, be careful with how hot you get things.

If you're not perfectly comfortable with your soldering ability, you may want to have someone who is guide you.

Good luck.

CA357 06-07-2009 11:24 PM

I installed factory Ghostring sights on my Mossberg 500 myself. The receiver was already drilled and tapped for the rear sight, but the front sight would have to be soldered.

I checked with a gunsmith I know and he said not to bother soldering, just epoxy the front sight on. So I carefully abraded the area where the sight would mount, cleaned it and applied a liberal dose of JB Weld.

I'm sure the barrel will decompose before the front sight will come loose. :D

Just my 2 cents. ;)

canebrake 06-08-2009 03:33 AM

I agree with both jeepcreep and CA.

Don't mess with the silver solder, it'll cause more (heat transfer) problems than it's worth.

With today's adhesives, the sight will be there long after your need for them will exist!

Just make sure you get them where you want them!

flyingtexan 06-08-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 114356)
I installed factory Ghostring sights on my Mossberg 500 myself. The receiver was already drilled and tapped for the rear sight, but the front sight would have to be soldered.

I checked with a gunsmith I know and he said not to bother soldering, just epoxy the front sight on. So I carefully abraded the area where the sight would mount, cleaned it and applied a liberal dose of JB Weld.

I'm sure the barrel will decompose before the front sight will come loose. :D

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Sounds like JB weld is what I should use...any techniques I should use? I have used JB weld once....on some car stuff...didn't impress me...I'm willing to try again..

CA357 06-08-2009 02:38 PM

There's no trick to it, any good epoxy will do. Scuff and the clean the areas to be mated, then glue. Watch for extra epoxy oozing where you don't want it, it's nasty to clean up once it starts to set. That's it.

I have been very happy with JB Weld for certain projects, but don't use it exclusively. Use whatever works best for you. Just take your time and it will be fine.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

flyingtexan 06-09-2009 04:39 AM

Thanks Ya'll....I'll give it a try..

stalkingbear 06-15-2009 08:50 PM

Did you get it ok? If not pm me and I'll help you with it.