Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > smoothing a pump shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Wait... sorry for any confusion. You mentioned you have a pump, correct? Do you know what the model you have? (I just wen't back and reread... Mavrick 88. got it. So it should be very similar to the Mossberg 500, which is pictured below)

This is an image of the ejector I was referring to (depending on the shotgun model, it may look different). If it is bent out too much, I would think it would make it a lot harder for the bolt to move freely (as pictured below), thus making it harder to pump your firearm.

Where that screw is, is likely where the ejector would be located

Take this image for What it is Worth. It may or may not help you out.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

- T7

"As you think, so shall you become"
~ Bruce Lee

Last edited by Gnome_T7; 04-13-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #22

Liked 182 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 296

These pictures are grand.

If I were you I would go to youtube and search for how to disassemble your firearm entirely and check all of these parts. The elevator, ejector, cartridge interupter could all be problem areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome_T7 View Post
Wait... sorry for any confusion. You mentioned you have a pump, correct? Do you know what the model you have? (I just wen't back and reread... Mavrick 88. got it. So it should be very similar to the Mossberg 500, which is pictured below)

This is an image of the ejector I was referring to (depending on the shotgun model, it may look different). If it is bent out too much, I would think it would make it a lot harder for the bolt to move freely (as pictured below), thus making it harder to pump your firearm.

Where that screw is, is likely where the ejector would be located

Take this image for What it is Worth. It may or may not help you out.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #23

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy
These pictures are grand.

If I were you I would go to youtube and search for how to disassemble your firearm entirely and check all of these parts. The elevator, ejector, cartridge interupter could all be problem areas.
All the parts look good i think the shell just gets stuck in the chamber

Old 04-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16825 Times on 9750 Posts
Likes Given: 43882

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88 View Post
All the parts look good i think the shell just gets stuck in the chamber
try finding a bronze brush that fits the chamber and clean it real well. it may be carbon or fouling in the chamber that is not allowing the shell to chamber smoothly. a bore brush might not be big enough to properly clean the chamber.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #25

Liked 182 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
try finding a bronze brush that fits the chamber and clean it real well. it may be carbon or fouling in the chamber that is not allowing the shell to chamber smoothly. a bore brush might not be big enough to properly clean the chamber.
Yep. Go ahead and remove the barrel and scrub the crap out of the chamber in the receiver and the back of the barrel

Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #26

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I think you might have more than a couple problems. One being if this gun wasn't shot much, then the parts haven't bedded themselves to each other, and that requires time and usage. One thing you could try is getting some Automotive rubbing compound and smearing it liberally inside the chamber of gun on ALL PARTS that move(from the elevator assy/pump bars, to bolt mechanism) and working the action at least through a good movie, then clean all the paste out and reoil to see if this frees up anything. Just make sure during this procedure, that if you notice paste is gone from where you put it, to respread to area for it to work.
Does the gun seem to make any difference as to what type of shell you use in the way it extracts or loads? The difference could be whether the shell is short-walled or high-walled brass casings. Just another thing to check and make a determination. Newer guns, this might not make a difference---but on older guns it sure did. Another thing in shells is whether it's brass or steel casing. Just covering all the bases on problem.
Del

Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #27

A cheap way to find out if and where metal is rubbing is black magic marker. It'll rub off anywhere moving parts touch. just put it on the edges of the internals where they ride/touch. If you know where they should touch you can see anywhere they are and shouldn't be.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #28

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman
I think you might have more than a couple problems. One being if this gun wasn't shot much, then the parts haven't bedded themselves to each other, and that requires time and usage. One thing you could try is getting some Automotive rubbing compound and smearing it liberally inside the chamber of gun on ALL PARTS that move(from the elevator assy/pump bars, to bolt mechanism) and working the action at least through a good movie, then clean all the paste out and reoil to see if this frees up anything. Just make sure during this procedure, that if you notice paste is gone from where you put it, to respread to area for it to work.
Does the gun seem to make any difference as to what type of shell you use in the way it extracts or loads? The difference could be whether the shell is short-walled or high-walled brass casings. Just another thing to check and make a determination. Newer guns, this might not make a difference---but on older guns it sure did. Another thing in shells is whether it's brass or steel casing. Just covering all the bases on problem.
Del
It was shot alot he used it in skeet shooting competitions the problem is he never cleaned it and ive went through it thuroughly over and over and over