smoothing a pump shotgun

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > smoothing a pump shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Default smoothing a pump shotgun

Hey guys i need a little advise my 12 gauge is hard to pump and sticks sometimes and i dont know y because ive taken it all apart and polished the bolt and all moving parts with fine grit sandpaper someone help me pls i dont wanna b in need of this shotgun and it get stuck when i pump the second shot again... any advice will be greatly appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #2

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

it would maybe help if we did not have to guess if was pre-1900 spencer or a browning bps or some kind we never heard of that was made in scotland

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #3

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

how is it "sticking"? is the shell sticking in the chamber so you cannot pull the pump back after firing without slamming the stock into the ground? If so maybe you have to polish your chamber. Or is it your action is sticking open and you cannot feed the second shell?

Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #4

Its just a cheap mavrick 88 i got from a friend and he never cleaned it but i didnt care cause ive got others and its just a gun to mod and not worry about... with no shells in the gun it pumps real rough sometimes sticking a little amd it seems while im shooting it sometimes when im trying to eject a shell and reload another (pull the forend back) it sticks even worse like it wont move at all i have to pull and pull and itll finally break lose... whats weird is its not always real hard but always rough feeling...i know its a cheap gun but i also know its supposes to be decently smooth like other ive shot and own

Old 04-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88
Its just a cheap mavrick 88 i got from a friend and he never cleaned it but i didnt care cause ive got others and its just a gun to mod and not worry about... with no shells in the gun it pumps real rough sometimes sticking a little amd it seems while im shooting it sometimes when im trying to eject a shell and reload another (pull the forend back) it sticks even worse like it wont move at all i have to pull and pull and itll finally break lose... whats weird is its not always real hard but always rough feeling...i know its a cheap gun but i also know its supposes to be decently smooth like other ive shot and own
When i got the gun i cleaned it really good and smoothes every moving part with real fine grit sandpaper

Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #6

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Get some good lube/light grease and smear it on the outside of the magazine and on the slide rails. pump until you feel silly to work it in...You MAY have some sandpaper leftovers in the gun..

Old 04-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy
Get some good lube/light grease and smear it on the outside of the magazine and on the slide rails. pump until you feel silly to work it in...You MAY have some sandpaper leftovers in the gun..
Ive tried that i can tell the problem is inside the gun and its worse when cycling shells

Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #8

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

remove the trigger group and work the action. Does it still stick or feel rough? with gun fully assembled sit down to watch a movie and work the action repeatedly for a couple hours.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
remove the trigger group and work the action. Does it still stick or feel rough? with gun fully assembled sit down to watch a movie and work the action repeatedly for a couple hours.
Lol if i take the trigger assembly out everything will fall out of the gun.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #10

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88 View Post
Lol if i take the trigger assembly out everything will fall out of the gun.
did you check the pump's slide rails? they may be bent or cracked? DO take out the parts and check for knicks, dings, bent parts, and burs.