Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   smoothing a pump shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/smoothing-pump-shotgun-61554/)

shooter88 04-01-2012 01:14 AM

smoothing a pump shotgun

Hey guys i need a little advise my 12 gauge is hard to pump and sticks sometimes and i dont know y because ive taken it all apart and polished the bolt and all moving parts with fine grit sandpaper someone help me pls i dont wanna b in need of this shotgun and it get stuck when i pump the second shot again... any advice will be greatly appreciated

hiwall 04-01-2012 04:33 AM

it would maybe help if we did not have to guess if was pre-1900 spencer or a browning bps or some kind we never heard of that was made in scotland

blucoondawg 04-01-2012 05:26 AM

how is it "sticking"? is the shell sticking in the chamber so you cannot pull the pump back after firing without slamming the stock into the ground? If so maybe you have to polish your chamber. Or is it your action is sticking open and you cannot feed the second shell?

shooter88 04-01-2012 06:49 AM

Its just a cheap mavrick 88 i got from a friend and he never cleaned it but i didnt care cause ive got others and its just a gun to mod and not worry about... with no shells in the gun it pumps real rough sometimes sticking a little amd it seems while im shooting it sometimes when im trying to eject a shell and reload another (pull the forend back) it sticks even worse like it wont move at all i have to pull and pull and itll finally break lose... whats weird is its not always real hard but always rough feeling...i know its a cheap gun but i also know its supposes to be decently smooth like other ive shot and own

shooter88 04-01-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter88
Its just a cheap mavrick 88 i got from a friend and he never cleaned it but i didnt care cause ive got others and its just a gun to mod and not worry about... with no shells in the gun it pumps real rough sometimes sticking a little amd it seems while im shooting it sometimes when im trying to eject a shell and reload another (pull the forend back) it sticks even worse like it wont move at all i have to pull and pull and itll finally break lose... whats weird is its not always real hard but always rough feeling...i know its a cheap gun but i also know its supposes to be decently smooth like other ive shot and own

When i got the gun i cleaned it really good and smoothes every moving part with real fine grit sandpaper

TimL2952 04-01-2012 06:53 AM

Get some good lube/light grease and smear it on the outside of the magazine and on the slide rails. pump until you feel silly to work it in...You MAY have some sandpaper leftovers in the gun..

shooter88 04-01-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy
Get some good lube/light grease and smear it on the outside of the magazine and on the slide rails. pump until you feel silly to work it in...You MAY have some sandpaper leftovers in the gun..

Ive tried that i can tell the problem is inside the gun and its worse when cycling shells

hiwall 04-01-2012 01:32 PM

remove the trigger group and work the action. Does it still stick or feel rough? with gun fully assembled sit down to watch a movie and work the action repeatedly for a couple hours.

shooter88 04-01-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall
remove the trigger group and work the action. Does it still stick or feel rough? with gun fully assembled sit down to watch a movie and work the action repeatedly for a couple hours.

Lol if i take the trigger assembly out everything will fall out of the gun.

TimL2952 04-01-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter88 (Post 758657)
Lol if i take the trigger assembly out everything will fall out of the gun.

did you check the pump's slide rails? they may be bent or cracked? DO take out the parts and check for knicks, dings, bent parts, and burs.