Smooth trigger

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Smooth trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How to make Smooth Trigger at Smith & Wesson revolvers? is it hard? Alot of skills needed?

Last edited by MehanoWin; 07-27-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Knowledge is more important.

Just have to ask, what model of S&W?

Normally, older ones need a spring replacement (What I would suggest before stoning any part.)

I believe Wolff has a spring kit that may help if you want to look at that first.

And replacing the springs will provide plenty of knowledge on the workings of revolver without ruining mating angles of parts on first try.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

can it be done on Smith & Wesson 500?
I have watched videos about making smoother trigger, and it seems too easy so i ask. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Remember, you can remove metal easily, but it's a b!tch to put it back.

Extra parts may be a little costly. Some things on the Youtube channel may look easy, but I've found that they may not have the proper warnings on what to look out for.

Replace springs and dry-firing may get you the smooth trigger you want.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, do we need any special tools, equipment or something ? I know that we need abrisive tool, we need anything else?

Old 07-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #6

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Just judging by your questions, leave it alone, or take it to a smith !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim..

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks
People Like This 
Old 07-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehanoWin View Post
Well, do we need any special tools, equipment or something ? I know that we need abrisive tool, we need anything else?
yes there are special stones for honing triggers. also a great knowledge of how the trigger fuctions. along with having had someone teach a person to do it correctly.

a trigger is not something to mess with if you don't have the skills or knowledge of what you are doing. do yourself a huge favor and take it to a gunsmith who is competent in doing trigger jobs. this is not a job for an amatuer by any means. not doing it correctly could leave you with a very dangerous pistol. IOW, LEAVE IT ALONE!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #8

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

On a S&W revolver there are many parts that move when you pull the trigger. Therefore to smooth the pull you have to smooth all those parts plus smooth everything that touches those parts. Listen to the advice above like that from masterPsmith.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I am a gunsmith in SC. S&W has about the hardest trigger pull I've dealt with. The pull can be cut in half if you know what your doing and the gun still be completely safe. If you have never done a trigger or action job, pay a good gunsmith to do it for you. If it is done wrong you could make the weapon very unsafe to carry or use. I do them all the time and its not hard to do. It will cost you about 85 bucks and you will be well satisfied with your gun

Old 08-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #10

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

You did say smooth the trigger didn't you? What model are we talking about? I have several S&W revolvers. They have triggers that are very smooth. My 642 has a heavy trigger. But it is still very smooth. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.