Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Smooth trigger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/smooth-trigger-94529/)

MehanoWin 07-27-2013 08:32 PM

How to make Smooth Trigger at Smith & Wesson revolvers? is it hard? Alot of skills needed?

danf_fl 07-28-2013 08:43 AM

Knowledge is more important.

Just have to ask, what model of S&W?

Normally, older ones need a spring replacement (What I would suggest before stoning any part.)

I believe Wolff has a spring kit that may help if you want to look at that first.

And replacing the springs will provide plenty of knowledge on the workings of revolver without ruining mating angles of parts on first try.

MehanoWin 07-28-2013 12:05 PM

can it be done on Smith & Wesson 500?
I have watched videos about making smoother trigger, and it seems too easy so i ask. Thanks.

danf_fl 07-28-2013 12:53 PM

Remember, you can remove metal easily, but it's a b!tch to put it back.

Extra parts may be a little costly. Some things on the Youtube channel may look easy, but I've found that they may not have the proper warnings on what to look out for.

Replace springs and dry-firing may get you the smooth trigger you want.

MehanoWin 07-28-2013 01:51 PM

Well, do we need any special tools, equipment or something ? I know that we need abrisive tool, we need anything else?

masterPsmith 07-28-2013 02:05 PM

Just judging by your questions, leave it alone, or take it to a smith !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim..

Axxe55 07-28-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MehanoWin (Post 1317984)
Well, do we need any special tools, equipment or something ? I know that we need abrisive tool, we need anything else?

yes there are special stones for honing triggers. also a great knowledge of how the trigger fuctions. along with having had someone teach a person to do it correctly.

a trigger is not something to mess with if you don't have the skills or knowledge of what you are doing. do yourself a huge favor and take it to a gunsmith who is competent in doing trigger jobs. this is not a job for an amatuer by any means. not doing it correctly could leave you with a very dangerous pistol. IOW, LEAVE IT ALONE!

hiwall 07-28-2013 04:23 PM

On a S&W revolver there are many parts that move when you pull the trigger. Therefore to smooth the pull you have to smooth all those parts plus smooth everything that touches those parts. Listen to the advice above like that from masterPsmith.

jimmiep 08-05-2013 05:27 PM

I am a gunsmith in SC. S&W has about the hardest trigger pull I've dealt with. The pull can be cut in half if you know what your doing and the gun still be completely safe. If you have never done a trigger or action job, pay a good gunsmith to do it for you. If it is done wrong you could make the weapon very unsafe to carry or use. I do them all the time and its not hard to do. It will cost you about 85 bucks and you will be well satisfied with your gun

Rick1967 08-05-2013 05:32 PM

You did say smooth the trigger didn't you? What model are we talking about? I have several S&W revolvers. They have triggers that are very smooth. My 642 has a heavy trigger. But it is still very smooth. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?