A small step on my path to becoming a gunsmith
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > A small step on my path to becoming a gunsmith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default A small step on my path to becoming a gunsmith

A lot of you are going to laugh, and that's ok with me

My new Tipton gun vice (the lower end model, not the "tipton best" but just the "tipton") got here today and WOW I could not be happier. For $45 it was a STEAL.

I took apart all my guns and cleaned them. Tonight I got home from work and plopped the 10/22 on there. I said "to hell with it" and removed every pin from the trigger group, ALL of them. Pieces were flying everywhere and I was having a good time! I took all the mechanisms out and everything. Within 30 minutes and a youtube video later, I *mastered* the 10/22 trigger group. I now know how everything works and what pieces compliment another. I am so thrilled and it was fun. So I just kept taking pieces apart and messing with them.

This is why I am training for gun smithing. Guns are pretty much on my mind all the time (in a healthy way ) I really don't see any other option but keep on learning and going to a school and eventually set up shop as a full timer. I had so much fun with that trigger group.

I know a lot about guns, mostly how they work and a lot. But of course I don;t know everything. Hell, I didn't even know how to take the trigger group apart. Bear with me, I am sure 70% of you can take a 10/22 trigger group apart but darn was I happy when I could do it. But more, I studied the parts and played with them.

Anyway I had a blast and am running out of guns to take apart. Next trigger group will be my 870, although that is more complicated just by the looks.

I guess I am getting a good start because I play with the Mosin, 870, AR, and 10/22 a lot. And in gun smithing schools, you get qualified for POPULAR guns (everyone owns a 10/22, a mossy or 870, and of course a mosin and ar. Start with the common guns and get armorer certified.

Say my dreams of becoming a gunsmith are overrated, we'll see in time but for now that is where I'm aiming, literally.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
deg Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Today we shall take a part the 870 group!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 05-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #3

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 638

LOL, so, tell us; does the 10/22 still shoot?

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3178 Times on 2158 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Good for you Man!! I was on a 5 Year Absence from Shooting because of my Health, and living on Long Island, and having to Trudge my Rear end into Manhattan for work every day until my Ret. from Teaching in November of 2010.I began to shoot again in 2011. Prior to that, I had not shot at all After My FIL Passed in the Summer of 06(he was like a second father to me, and I had found out that He knew my Dad professionally(he was a NYC Cop and My Dad Was Federal).
I learned a lot about Firearms Under My Dad & Uncle's Teaching(my Uncle was also a Cop, but owned a Shop as well). Last Year I started Taking Smithing classes on-line, and getting some shop training in with a friendly local Established Gunsmith. I need the Machine shop classes to finish but its a two year wait to get onto the College here locally.

The Best advice I can Offer is: Don't get "lost" with Where Parts are and belong. I bought some extra trays to hold stuff I take apart. I wanted the Tipton,..but I got the two MTM's(the K-zone shooting rest, and the Maint. Vice, with 3 Blocks(AR, 1911, and a "Utility"). I love Messing with "My" 10/22 but when I got the Mossberg 702, because the 10/22 has a folding stock, i let the Mz. Use it, until we get another. I've also been doing "Little" things to our Other Rugers,..I put In for My FFL's(Finally) a few weeks back,..And I got a Conf. E-mail that they got it,..but no phone call yet. Recently I started doing some stuff with my older Shotguns. I should have kept one of the 870's I sold, But I have an 1100, a Mossberg SA-20, and my Catamout Fury II,..Next Shotgun is going to be a Revolving .410/45LC...since I got a Judge 6.5" I'm playing with...
Good Luck!....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-04-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
LOL, so, tell us; does the 10/22 still shoot?
Meh, I did function tests on all the components. It will fire, because everything was put back exactly the way it should be. The action is actually a bit smoother now, the 10/22 is pretty new though, I have had it for less than a year and only 250 rounds through it