You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

Sling swivels on a CZ Coach Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2015, 03:24 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sling swivels on a CZ Coach Gun

I purchased a CZ open hammer coach gun a few years ago and now would like to mount a sling on it. There seems to be a couple of options for mounting the butt end; drilled swivel directly into the stock or a leather boot. The upper end of the strap is much more iffy. Mounting to the metal between the barrels, I understand, is not a good option. A leather strap around the barrels would obscure aiming and possibly mar the finish. What about drilling and mounting a sling stud into the fore-arm wood? The possible problem I see is that the fore-arm is easily removable, attached only by a steel hook and lever, is it strong enough to support a sling without popping off the barrel while being carried?

Have any of you had good or bad experiences with this method, or do you have any other recommendations? I would appreciate your thoughts and advice.
Romans 12:18

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2015, 03:45 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7462 Times on 3977 Posts
Likes Given: 594

the old english double rifles used for african hunting often had a sling point on the fore-end.

long as the sling is used only for carrying it is not an issue.

screwing in the rear point o the stock is viable so is a boot.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 05-18-2015, 05:44 AM   #3

Liked 1109 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 282

My humble opinion would be to not attach to the snap-on snap-off forearm. A strap around the barrels or a custom made clamp-on that attaches to the barrels would be two options that I would recommend just off the top of my head.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:34 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping I could find someone who had dealt with the issue with a similar firearm and had success (or even failure) but I still appreciate your comments.

Though I think I could make a successful attachment of a sling to the wood forearm grip, if the wood ever split under the stress or the clamp inadvertently released It could do some serious damage to my gun. So the two safe options seem to be a leather loop or a custom-made swivel clamped to the barrels sides. For me the leather loop is a poor option because with a sxs your aim is right down on the barrels. Anything that comes over the top of the barrels would obscure my aim. A custom made front swivel mount that attached only to the outward sides of the two barrels and clamped underneath seems doable. I'm thinking that a well equipped gunsmith shop would be the most able to mill-out such parts for me. Do you have any recommendations for a smith with the equipment to make parts like these? And, what would you think a reasonable price would be for such a part.

Thanks again for your input

Old 05-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #5

Liked 1109 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 282

Quote:
And, what would you think a reasonable price would be for such a part.
A custom made part would require a fair amount of work and so would be fairly expensive (maybe in the $50 range?). You could maybe have a gunsmith install one similar to this one which attaches to the under rib.
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=4270&ST=Screw%20on%20Swivel %20w/2%20Screws#.VVtMkFLHkxI

Old 05-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
A custom made part would require a fair amount of work and so would be fairly expensive (maybe in the $50 range?). You could maybe have a gunsmith install one similar to this one which attaches to the under rib.
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=4270&ST=Screw%20on%20Swivel %20w/2%20Screws#.VVtMkFLHkxI
What I understand is that the under rib is only soldered into place and can pull away pretty easily. Parts that require strength like the forearm hook are brazed on to the barrels so they won't come loose.

I'm now considering going to a tactical style single point or 1 point sling assembly attached to the gun through a loop around the trigger grip. The gun could then be carried barrels down when needed for hands free (luckily the barrels are plenty short enough). It's not the best option, but it will be better than other sling options imao.

Thanks for all of your comments on this subject

Old 05-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7462 Times on 3977 Posts
Likes Given: 594

just a curiosity question, why do you want a sling on a double shotgun??
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent