Slide Release Lever

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Slide Release Lever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Slide Release Lever

I have a Kahr PM9. It's having some failures to feed where the slide locks back as if the magazine is empty but the round is nose down. It's as if the bullet it hitting the slide lever. This is a known issue with the PM9 and a lot of people file them down to correct it.

The question is, how should I go about this? I don't want to remove too much. Also, what kind of file should use?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #2

You try youtube? Lots of gunsmiths (self proclaimed and professionals alike) are posting how to videos. Shpuld be able get at least some idea from that.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #3

Liked 1861 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 1233

Is this a new gun? Or is it old? That soulds like you could have a dirty mag. I have seen dirty mags that are slow coming up on the last round causing a similar problem. I have noticed that on a lot of 1911 mags. But I would think it could happen on any semi auto.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewulff View Post
You try youtube? Lots of gunsmiths (self proclaimed and professionals alike) are posting how to videos. Shpuld be able get at least some idea from that.
That's not a bad idea. I'll give that a try as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Is this a new gun? Or is it old? That soulds like you could have a dirty mag. I have seen dirty mags that are slow coming up on the last round causing a similar problem. I have noticed that on a lot of 1911 mags. But I would think it could happen on any semi auto.
It's a new gun. It's only had 200 rounds through it and it's done this four times. I cleaned both magazines per the guide on the Kahr forums and well as the gun prep guide. And it's done it with both magazines.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #5

Liked 1861 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 1233

Have you contacted Kahr? I have the CM9. I know yours was more expensive. Perhaps the manufacturer could shed some light on the issue. Especially if it is a known problem. I would not take a file to a new gun myself. Old guns are a different story.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #6

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Have you contacted Kahr? I have the CM9. I know yours was more expensive. Perhaps the manufacturer could shed some light on the issue. Especially if it is a known problem. I would not take a file to a new gun myself. Old guns are a different story.
+100000
This is what we would do.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
+100000
This is what we would do.
Normally I wouldn't either. But it's a known issue and this seems to be how just about everyone has fixed it. I've been in contact with Kahr and they want me to send it in. I talked them into sending me the lever, so I have a spare lever.

That way I can see if this works. If not, I have a factory new one I can put in.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #8

Liked 4822 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

It sounds like your prepared to break out the file, let us know how it goes and pleas post picks of the "post filed" part along side the factory new part, "assuming it works".

I got a call yesterday, friend of a friend having a similar issue with a new CM 9 which surprised me because I knew the P380 had a similar issue but I've had my PM 9 for 5 years now with no problems.

I believe the slide lock on the CM is MIM and assumed the gun I heard about yesterday came from a bad run that got slightly out of spec slide locks?

I think a light filing would solve the problem. Personally I'd do it at the range where I could take off a little at a time, reassemble and test fire until I thought I'd solved the problem. I'd then put a minimum of 250 rounds through it to make sure.

Good luck.

Tack

Old 04-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #9

Yeah, I'm a hands on kind of person and I don't want to wait months for Kahr to hopefully figure it out.

So, would you suggest any specific file to use? I have a bunch of huge ones that I use for automotive stuff that aren't going to do me any good here so I'm going to have to get something. I just didn't know if there are specific files to gunsmithing I could get or if I can use any small file.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #10

Liked 4822 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Yeah, I'm a hands on kind of person and I don't want to wait months for Kahr to hopefully figure it out.

So, would you suggest any specific file to use? I have a bunch of huge ones that I use for automotive stuff that aren't going to do me any good here so I'm going to have to get something. I just didn't know if there are specific files to gunsmithing I could get or if I can use any small file.
I've ever tried to file an MIM part and don't know if your slidelock is MIM or forged but to be safe, I'd start by stealing the wifes Emory board for her fingernails. If that's too soft I'd go to a metal nail file over a clean white piece of paper and just take a little bit at a time between test fires.

Tack