Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Slamfiring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 01:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've heard this also happens when you dont seat the primer deep enough into the head of the casing and the action closes and crushes the primer, making the gun fire. Scary to think you could rip a whole mag with slam-fires if your firing pin gets stuck forward. I'm sure the pressure on the chamber and battery are hellatious since most of the time the chamber isnt completely closed.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:04 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7610 Times on 3314 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Agree with da Bear. Winchester Mdl 100s have slamfired as result of broken firing pins- hence the recall on Model 100s for a fp retrofit. A semi, bolt, lever or pump with a badly worn sear or sear notch may release the striker/hammer due to shock of action closing smartly- cure is replace worn (or more likely, Bubba'ed with a Dremel) parts. SKS- no spring on firing pin- dried cosmoline in FP channel of bolt causes FP to stick in forward position. Cure is to clean the 50 years of dried gunk out of the bolt (was involved in a lawsuit over that very thing) 1911A1 with bad disconnector- sometimes would double- usually hammer would just ride slide forward. Replace disconnector. Different arms will have different causes, different cures. Will gun FTF before running out of ammo? Maybe. If yer lucky.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #13

That's insane. I hope I never see one of those on the range, and if I do, I hope the person has enough sense to keep the weapon aimed downrange for as long as humanly possible.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had a friend have this happen on his sks with ten rounds and I have had this happen on my sks like a double tap. I changed primers to harder ones and the problem went away. I tryed to get the fireing pin spring set up for the sks but with the new Oboma admin charging huge export fees and a ton of paper work I was unsecsessful to be able to get on into Canada.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #15

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I had a Jennings J-22 slam fire on me once. Very unnerving. I had been to the range that day, fired a bunch of weapons, the little Jennings amongst them. They were all placed empty into a haliburton case then brought home. I then cleaned most of them but hadn't gotten to the Jennings yet when I realized a nearby grocery would soon be closing and I needed to buy some milk before it did. My 38 was still dis-assembled for cleaning so I just grabbed a loaded magazine and loaded the Jennings. [In those long-ago days I used a wallet holster in my back pocket.] As I always had I racked the slide to chamber a round (with my finger nowhere near the trigger) when the gun suddenly fired. Some fuss ensued. Later exam of the fired .22 casing (still in the gun) revealed a strange dent in the case rim and a bulge of the case. Exam of the gun disclosed that sometime during the day's firing a shaving of brass had somehow wedged the extractor in the down (inward) position.

As most here know the extractor is supposed to just slide over the rim of the cartridge case, then hook it upon a firing and pull the case out of the chamber. In this instance instead there was no give to the extractor and it became a firing pin when it slammed against the rimfire cartridge rim. A total UD experience. No one hurt, but it got my attention. That was the end of my routine use of the Jennings and rimfire as a back up piece and a 'new' WW2 era PPK using centerfire cartridges replaced it within a week.

With hindsight, either one of two simple rules not followed could have prevented that slamfire. 1) Clean any gun that has been fired before loading it. 2) Inspect your weapon before loading it, even if it was just fine earlier that day.

Last edited by superc; 04-17-2010 at 06:39 AM.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:16 AM   #16

Thanks a lot for the input guys it's much appreciated and a lot of help.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #17

Here is my take on slam fires and out of battery firing.
1. The firing pin protrudes its channel or has too small of a tolerance between the striking point of the pin and the primer
2. Firing pin is somehow stuck from foreign objects in the pin housing or gunk has built up in it
3. The weapon has a floating pin, meaning it does not have a spring around the pin to keep the pin retained until it is struck by the hammer and improper ammo is used like commercial 30-06 in an M1 Garand. Often these primers are too soft to withsatnd the force of the floating pin and will fire without being in full battery or fire when in battery.