Slamfiring?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Slamfiring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Slamfiring?

I am currently going through a gunsmith school online and had a question about good ways to prevent slamfiring. Any advice is appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

On a boltgun? Generally your trigger has been adjusted to be too sensitive ( light in pressure ) and the resulting closing of the bolt handle against the action causes it to go off.

Easy fix, add some more weight to the trigger so the trigger pull is "heavier".

JD

Old 04-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

The only slamfire I have seen with a semi-auto handgun was caused by junk in the firing pin channel which prevented the pin from fully retracting - scary when it happens...

Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Dumb question, but what is slamfiring? Never heard that term before.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #5

Basically, the round goes off as soon as the action closes - without touching the trigger...

Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks NGIB! I appreciate the info!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #7

I've heard of slam firing but do not quite understand the mechanics behind the process. Let's say I have a semi-auto with 17 rounds in the magazine. Would it be possible for the semi-auto to slam fire through the whole magazine or does it inherently fail somewhere along the way? I mean, I'd probably limp wrist it after the first two, so maybe I'd get a stove pipe and that would be the end of it.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #8

Liked 332 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Garrand type actions such as the M1 Garrand and the M-14/M1A have floating fireing pins. Usually one gets into trouble with slamfire when reloading for these actions. Primer has to be flush or a tad lower in head of cartridge and case trim height is somewhat critical as well, or slamfire could occur. In these actions, when slamfire occurs the round can go off before bolt totally closes. VERY, VERY, VERY BAD JU JU if this occurs in these actions.

Last edited by mrm14; 04-12-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
I've heard of slam firing but do not quite understand the mechanics behind the process. Let's say I have a semi-auto with 17 rounds in the magazine. Would it be possible for the semi-auto to slam fire through the whole magazine or does it inherently fail somewhere along the way? I mean, I'd probably limp wrist it after the first two, so maybe I'd get a stove pipe and that would be the end of it.
If the problem that caused the slamfire doesn't fix itself and there isn't a feeding malfunction, you'll rip off the entire mag in full-auto. When it happened at the range I was shooting on, the fella only had 3 rounds left in the mag so it was over real quick. Don't remember exactly what kind of pistol it was but I do remember seeing the firing pin protruding from the breech face with the slide open...

Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's impossible to say what steps are necessary to prevent slamfiring without 1st stating the type/make/model of firearm it is that's slamfiring. That's because the problem would be different for example a semiauto pistol and a semiauto rifle or even bolt action rifle.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!