Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Slamfiring? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/slamfiring-25983/)

drake85 04-12-2010 08:44 PM

Slamfiring?

I am currently going through a gunsmith school online and had a question about good ways to prevent slamfiring. Any advice is appreciated

Dillinger 04-12-2010 08:55 PM

On a boltgun? Generally your trigger has been adjusted to be too sensitive ( light in pressure ) and the resulting closing of the bolt handle against the action causes it to go off.

Easy fix, add some more weight to the trigger so the trigger pull is "heavier".

JD

NGIB 04-12-2010 09:16 PM

The only slamfire I have seen with a semi-auto handgun was caused by junk in the firing pin channel which prevented the pin from fully retracting - scary when it happens...

amoroque 04-12-2010 10:14 PM

Dumb question, but what is slamfiring? Never heard that term before. :confused:

NGIB 04-12-2010 10:17 PM

Basically, the round goes off as soon as the action closes - without touching the trigger...

amoroque 04-12-2010 10:28 PM

Thanks NGIB! I appreciate the info!

ThorsHammer 04-12-2010 10:33 PM

I've heard of slam firing but do not quite understand the mechanics behind the process. Let's say I have a semi-auto with 17 rounds in the magazine. Would it be possible for the semi-auto to slam fire through the whole magazine or does it inherently fail somewhere along the way? I mean, I'd probably limp wrist it after the first two, so maybe I'd get a stove pipe and that would be the end of it. :eek:

mrm14 04-12-2010 10:41 PM

Garrand type actions such as the M1 Garrand and the M-14/M1A have floating fireing pins. Usually one gets into trouble with slamfire when reloading for these actions. Primer has to be flush or a tad lower in head of cartridge and case trim height is somewhat critical as well, or slamfire could occur. In these actions, when slamfire occurs the round can go off before bolt totally closes. VERY, VERY, VERY BAD JU JU if this occurs in these actions.

NGIB 04-12-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThorsHammer (Post 268948)
I've heard of slam firing but do not quite understand the mechanics behind the process. Let's say I have a semi-auto with 17 rounds in the magazine. Would it be possible for the semi-auto to slam fire through the whole magazine or does it inherently fail somewhere along the way? I mean, I'd probably limp wrist it after the first two, so maybe I'd get a stove pipe and that would be the end of it. :eek:

If the problem that caused the slamfire doesn't fix itself and there isn't a feeding malfunction, you'll rip off the entire mag in full-auto. When it happened at the range I was shooting on, the fella only had 3 rounds left in the mag so it was over real quick. Don't remember exactly what kind of pistol it was but I do remember seeing the firing pin protruding from the breech face with the slide open...

stalkingbear 04-12-2010 11:41 PM

It's impossible to say what steps are necessary to prevent slamfiring without 1st stating the type/make/model of firearm it is that's slamfiring. That's because the problem would be different for example a semiauto pistol and a semiauto rifle or even bolt action rifle.