Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > SKS Trigger Job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I had an SKS a few months back and had the same issue I just kept hitting the pin with a punch and eventually it came out. I did do a trigger job on mine and it was very easy and turned out great. As stated above if you have one slip up you could get a full auto gun that you can't control so be very careful. I just used a diamond infused sharpening stone that was the very smooth stone and on the other side was just the smooth stone I used the smooth stone to file out the grooves on the face of the sear that were left from machining and after that I used the very smooth side to polish the face of the sear. It turned out great, but be very careful if you do it yourself. Iraqveteran8888 has a video out on how to do it that I would suggest you watch.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If all you are going to do is polish the sear and I mean only polish. Then you should be ok. But if you reshape it, that's where you will run into trouble. Again if you aren't 110% sure about what your doing with a trigger job take it to a gunsmith. Also look into new springs from wolf. They sell kits for sks that are weaker for better trigger pull. I think the hammer springs are 39 lbs where in the kit they are 37 lbs. Dosnt sound like a lot but I hear a bunch of good stuff from people that have used them in their sks.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1382 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

DIY trigger jobs are usually a bad idea. If you round off a part just a little bit you create an unsafe gun. Gunsmiths use a variety of jigs and polishing tools to make certain each part they polish is shaped perfectly. Trigger jobs are usually less than $100 including parts.

When you have a trigger job done don't expect to recover your money. If a DIY trigger job was done keep it to yourself. Most experienced gun buyers will not buy any gun with a trigger job unless the gun is cheap enough to replace the entire trigger assembly. Of course there are exceptions I am just stating rules of thumb.

The pin holding the sear in place on a SKS is not meant to be beat out with a hammer. A press does the job much easier without risk of damaging the gun.

Gunsmiths with a good reputation don't take jobs that are not in the customers best interest. I have seen gunsmiths do thousands of dollars of work to price point rifles. Today they are out of business. It's hard to create a good reputation by wasting your customers money.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato