Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > SKS Trigger Job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Default SKS Trigger Job

I recently purchased a Norinco SKS in decent shape but with a bad creeping trigger pull. I've seen YouTube videos about how to shave down the sear in the trigger group assembly but the forward pin seems frozen in place. There's no visible rust and I've tapped it pretty hard with a brass mallet, still no movement. Any ideas about removing this pin without damaging the assembly?

Thanks for any advice

Also, what would be a fair price for a trigger job at a local GS if I decide not to do this myself?

"The basis of our political systems is the right of the people to make and to alter their Constitutions of Government. But the Constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all."

George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Take it to a Smith.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7562 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Name:  bad_idea.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  23.5 KB

No, really, this is a REAL bad idea. While there are several gunsmithing jobs that are easily done by the non-pro, a trigger job is NOT one that would be high on my list for most guns.

There are two likely outcomes- 1. You will get a gun that will not stay cocked, or is dangerous to handle, or 2. You get uncontrolled full auto fire.

The SKS trigger is, by it's very nature, long and rather creepy. This is NOT a target rifle- it is a military carbine. Either learn to love it for what it is, or have a skilled riflesmith work on it.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the warning though I did end up shaving off a little of the sear. My original question was about a stubborn pin which I managed to remove with a little more effort and wasn't thinking I would get a warning back about safety. I guess what you are saying is that I could create a built-in "bump-fire" effect which I definitely wouldn't want. When I reassembled the sear into the trigger there still seems to still be a good amount of creep in the trigger though smoother since I polished the slide surface.

I could just order a new sear from Murray's or do you think I could try it first in a non public area with two cartridges in the mag to see if there is a problem?

Again, thanks for the warning.

"The basis of our political systems is the right of the people to make and to alter their Constitutions of Government. But the Constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all."

George Washington

Old 10-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I dry-fire tested the safety, that works fine

I dry-fire tested the receiver bolt with the trigger pulled to make sure it doesn't auto-fire, and it doesn't

I dry-fire tested the firearm cocked by bumping the gun around in various ways to see if the trigger holds in the cocked position and it holds fine.

The trigger has about 3/32" of creep measuring at the lowest point of the trigger and definitely has a clear audible "click" a ways back as the trigger is released.

Is there any other dry-fire tests I can do?

George Washington

Old 10-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Trigger job to a SKS......??

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

OK, I guess I'm ordering a new sear. There's nothing that tops safety and I seeing a pattern in the feedback.

Let me see if I get this right... NO Trigger Job on an SKS! Is that the message?

All joking aside, thanks for the advice, I'm taking it.

George Washington

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 10-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popgun View Post
Thanks for the warning though I did end up shaving off a little of the sear. My original question was about a stubborn pin which I managed to remove with a little more effort and wasn't thinking I would get a warning back about safety. I guess what you are saying is that I could create a built-in "bump-fire" effect which I definitely wouldn't want. When I reassembled the sear into the trigger there still seems to still be a good amount of creep in the trigger though smoother since I polished the slide surface.

I could just order a new sear from Murray's or do you think I could try it first in a non public area with two cartridges in the mag to see if there is a problem?

Again, thanks for the warning.
No not bump fire like. It will dump the whole mag lol. Idk if you will be able to find a smith that will do a trigger job. I asked a few around me if I could do one or get a us made one and they looked at me like I was crazy. There a bunch of azzholes though.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
No not bump fire like. It will dump the whole mag lol. Idk if you will be able to find a smith that will do a trigger job. I asked a few around me if I could do one or get a us made one and they looked at me like I was crazy. There a bunch of azzholes though.
I'm ordering a new sear to be safe. All I'm going to do is make sure the new one's surfaces are smooth where the creep takes place and lube it well. From the remarks, I'm thinking that's the best I can do to have safety and a smooth trigger pull. I understand that it's not a target rifle, but I do like to have a smooth a trigger pull as is possible for all my guns.

George Washington

Mongo Likes This 
Old 10-05-2013, 03:50 AM   #10

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

I had s trigger job done on mine and we got it down to 4 1/4 lbs. Very smooth now too! Just because its a military carbine doesn't mean it shouldn't be made better. Don't know why people think it a waste of time with the SKS. I know mine will hold its own with just about any other carbine.