shotgun bore thing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > shotgun bore thing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
SoL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default shotgun bore thing

good evening friends

i just recovered a lot of firearms from a deceased estate including a very nice old stevens shotgun, so old in fact that it is a "J Steven Arm & Tool co" apparently from 1880 or thereabouts, very nice toy.

Now a few of the shotguns i got have a little surface rusting on the outside of the barrel and a little in the bore which i dont think is critical but it is making shell insertion sticky, which as i have experienced in the past will make removing them after firing damn near impossible.

is there a purpose made tool, maybe a steel brush or some kind of grinder head I can use to rout the chamber smooth? I've got a plastic 12 ga cleaning brush but its not cutting it, hence steel or something.
HELP HELP

Thanks

SoL

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

There are BRONZE brushes that should do nicely. As far as a grinder, the robot from Lost in Space is waving his arms, and shouting "DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER"!

Using a grinder will kill your shotgun. Take the bore brush and one section of cleaning rod, chuck in a drill, wet with Hoppes #9, insert, spin for about 30 seconds, wipe clean with a cloth.

If you have very old shotguns, do you know what Damascus barrels look like? If you have them, I would NOT reccomend you fire it.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Damascus barrels are beautiful!! gotta be super careful what you shoot though.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

With something that has the potential of immense value, why would you do anything other than have a gunsmith take a look at it?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
SoL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

fair call on that, no its not a damascus and has the 'Electrosteel choke bored" stamp on the top of it. it seems in good nick and all the internals are fine and working, it was a beachfront house so the salt air kinda did a number on the outside,
is this actually worth something? i still need to reblue it but Ive buffed all the rust off and it looks quite good. I was just thinking wow cool, free shotgun but is this more of a collectors piece?

Old 02-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoL View Post
fair call on that, no its not a damascus and has the 'Electrosteel choke bored" stamp on the top of it. it seems in good nick and all the internals are fine and working, it was a beachfront house so the salt air kinda did a number on the outside,
is this actually worth something? i still need to reblue it but Ive buffed all the rust off and it looks quite good. I was just thinking wow cool, free shotgun but is this more of a collectors piece?
Antiques are best left "dirty" until appraised. Some collectors like that rust "patena" left as is, cleaning reduces or eliminates any value. Restoration is different than cleaning and may add value.

Take Cane's advice and have those guns appraised before any more cleaning.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds like the chamber/bore needs to be honed. Your local gunsmith can do that job easily. To do it yourself you would need to buy the hones. I, like the rest, would recommend you let your smith do it. It would be cheaper than buying the hones anyway.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:30 AM   #8
SoL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah the honing thing is what i was thinking of
any idea of cost?
my gunny charges NZ$45 to thread for a suppressor so if you can use that as a guide that would be smiley

Old 02-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have no idea what your gunsmith will charge but it should be 40-60$

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #10

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

You had better make sure of the shell length also. Many of these old shotguns used a 2.5" shell, not 2.75. That is one reason it could be sticking. since you are using a 12ga brush, I would assume it is 12ga.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.