Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   shotgun bore thing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/shotgun-bore-thing-23372/)

SoL 02-13-2010 08:22 AM

shotgun bore thing

good evening friends

i just recovered a lot of firearms from a deceased estate including a very nice old stevens shotgun, so old in fact that it is a "J Steven Arm & Tool co" apparently from 1880 or thereabouts, very nice toy.

Now a few of the shotguns i got have a little surface rusting on the outside of the barrel and a little in the bore which i dont think is critical but it is making shell insertion sticky, which as i have experienced in the past will make removing them after firing damn near impossible.

is there a purpose made tool, maybe a steel brush or some kind of grinder head I can use to rout the chamber smooth? I've got a plastic 12 ga cleaning brush but its not cutting it, hence steel or something.
HELP HELP

SoL

c3shooter 02-13-2010 10:20 AM

There are BRONZE brushes that should do nicely. As far as a grinder, the robot from Lost in Space is waving his arms, and shouting "DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER"!

Using a grinder will kill your shotgun. Take the bore brush and one section of cleaning rod, chuck in a drill, wet with Hoppes #9, insert, spin for about 30 seconds, wipe clean with a cloth.

If you have very old shotguns, do you know what Damascus barrels look like? If you have them, I would NOT reccomend you fire it.

spittinfire 02-13-2010 11:41 AM

Damascus barrels are beautiful!! gotta be super careful what you shoot though.

canebrake 02-13-2010 11:45 AM

With something that has the potential of immense value, why would you do anything other than have a gunsmith take a look at it? http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...tumbleweed.gif

SoL 02-13-2010 12:21 PM

fair call on that, no its not a damascus and has the 'Electrosteel choke bored" stamp on the top of it. it seems in good nick and all the internals are fine and working, it was a beachfront house so the salt air kinda did a number on the outside,
is this actually worth something? i still need to reblue it but Ive buffed all the rust off and it looks quite good. I was just thinking wow cool, free shotgun but is this more of a collectors piece?

Jpyle 02-13-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoL (Post 229901)
fair call on that, no its not a damascus and has the 'Electrosteel choke bored" stamp on the top of it. it seems in good nick and all the internals are fine and working, it was a beachfront house so the salt air kinda did a number on the outside,
is this actually worth something? i still need to reblue it but Ive buffed all the rust off and it looks quite good. I was just thinking wow cool, free shotgun but is this more of a collectors piece?

Antiques are best left "dirty" until appraised. Some collectors like that rust "patena" left as is, cleaning reduces or eliminates any value. Restoration is different than cleaning and may add value.

Take Cane's advice and have those guns appraised before any more cleaning.

stalkingbear 02-13-2010 05:41 PM

It sounds like the chamber/bore needs to be honed. Your local gunsmith can do that job easily. To do it yourself you would need to buy the hones. I, like the rest, would recommend you let your smith do it. It would be cheaper than buying the hones anyway.

SoL 02-14-2010 12:30 AM

yeah the honing thing is what i was thinking of
any idea of cost?
my gunny charges NZ$45 to thread for a suppressor so if you can use that as a guide that would be smiley

stalkingbear 02-14-2010 12:54 AM

I have no idea what your gunsmith will charge but it should be 40-60$

jpattersonnh 02-14-2010 11:24 AM

You had better make sure of the shell length also. Many of these old shotguns used a 2.5" shell, not 2.75. That is one reason it could be sticking. since you are using a 12ga brush, I would assume it is 12ga.