shortening rifle stock.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > shortening rifle stock.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default shortening rifle stock.

i want to shorten the stock on my model 70, was just wondering if anyone had any tips or how-to directions to do the job right. oh and how to go about sanding down the recoil pad to fit the new stock size. the length of pull is a little to long now. thanks all.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #2

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I strongly advise to have a gunsmith do it for you. I do not mean that you are not a skillful person but this is not the place to start practice. Somethings are fine for a beginner and if it was a $50 gun I would say go ahead.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you insist on doing it yourself I'd recommend you put at least 3 layers of masking tape on the stock to keep it from splintering out on the back edges when you cut it. Be sure to leave a bit extra (1/8") so you can sand it flat on the new rear edge. Draw a line all the way around. Use a very fine tooth saw blade and follow along the line you drew. Grind/sand flat to a straight surface while keeping the correct angle. Reinstall the pad and grind it CAREFULLY until you "get into" the masking tape on the stock very slightly.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #4

well i took the recoil pad off and it shortened the stock a 1/2 inch. im trying to find a plastic or metal buttplate to just put on to cover the end. got any ideas?

Old 06-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #5

You'll be able to find buttpads at Numrich Gun Parts Corporation or Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA or World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells .

Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If your good with a vice and a drill press you could make a metal butt plate easily, did you cut the stock in a straight line or did you put an arch to it?

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #7

i just took the old recoil pad off. it was 3/4" thick. the butt of stock is flat. if i could find or make a 1/4" buttplate it would shorten the l.o.p. 1/2". and that would be just enough. guess i just have to look around for something to use.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #8

If you'll browse the links I posted you will be able to view MANY buttpads to choose from. So many in fact you'll have some trouble choosing.
Gunsmithing - Shop Gunsmithing Tools & Supplies at MidwayUSA