Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Semiauto not cocking after first shot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 01:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Semiauto not cocking after first shot?

I have several Baikal MP -153s. Problem is that one is being a random single shot. It cycles the shells fine but sometimes I can't get a second shot off as apparently the hammer isn't always getting set back to get released by the trigger. Anyone have a clue why this is happening?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sear worn or out of alignment perhaps?

Old 10-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #3

Is the sear the piece that catches (or is supposed to catch) the hammer when the bolt is sent back?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would know better if I knew exactly what the MP-153 was actually. Just by your description of the problem I was guessing that's what it could be. But for some types of pistols, rifles, and shotguns with conventional firing pins/hammers, the trigger sear engages in a notch on the hammer. If the sear won't fall in the notch on the hammer, the hammer may ride forward with the bolt instead of hitting the firing pin. Like I say, guessing at your description. I'll see if Brownell's might happen to have diagrams.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's exactly what's happening is the hammer IS being cocked back but isn't STAYING cocked. If the hammer wasn't being cocked fully (by full travel of bolt) the gun wouldn't be cyling/ejecting emptys in the first place.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #6

Turns out the disconnector or trigger bar was bent. Can't remember what my gunsmith said.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #7

Default Similar Problem on a FEG PA 63

I''ve got the same problem on my PA 63. Gun will elect and load fine but will not cock for the next shot. If I hand cycle the slide the hammer will cock and lock just won't do it "semi-automatically". I'll check the trigger bar.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One way to check the disconector is to cycle the action with the trigger pulled. when you release the trigger you should hear a click and when you pull the trigger again the hammer should release and strike the firring pin.( always done unloaded.
F.K.