Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Semi Auto 7.62x54R Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Semi Auto 7.62x54R Build

Sometime this year (probably in the fall, or winter), I would like to build a semi automatic 7.62x54R with a 16"-20" barrel. So for now, I need to design it. I aready have a few Ideas, but need advice/imput.

First, I need to choose a reciever to build off of. I was thinking about a FPK or PSL reciever since they are already designed to use 7.62x54R, and use 10 rd mags, but I'm open to suggestions.
As long as the reciever can withstand a LOT of shooting (not so much rapid fire, but long shooting sessions), it will work for me. I also prefer them to hold at least 10 rds (fixed mag or removable mag are both fine with me) but it can use less, or more if nessesary.

Second is the barrel. I really want it to be either a 16", 18" or 20" barrel. Will a .308 barrel work, or does it have to be .311? (what exactly is the size of 7.62x54R?)

As for what this gun will be used for, it will mostly be a range gun, but could possibly be used as a SHTF gun if needed. It does not have to be super accurate, but have decent accuracy (it will be mostly a 100-400 yard gun)

Finally, I want this thing to have an old military look to it when it is done.

Any suggestions, tips, criticisms, ect.

One last thing since I will probably be asked this anyway. I want this because I like the idea of it. I want a semi auto 7.62x54R because I like the round, it is cheap to shoot, and I think I can have a lot of fun with it.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 04-10-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

They sell a VEPR in 7.62x54r. I am not sure about getting just the receiver though. Maybe ask the people at classicarms.us about getting you just the receiver since they sell the rifles.

http://www.classicfirearms.co/russianveprrifles.htm
Mags aren't cheap, but the VEPR's are supposed to be better made and tighter than the Saiga's and such. I think they all come with that scope mount rail on the side.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 04-10-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
They sell a VEPR in 7.62x54r. I am not sure about getting just the receiver though. Maybe ask the people at classicarms.us about getting you just the receiver since they sell the rifles.

http://www.classicfirearms.co/russianveprrifles.htm
Mags aren't cheap, but the VEPR's are supposed to be better made and tighter than the Saiga's and such. I think they all come with that scope mount rail on the side.
I just looked, and at $900, I would just buy either a complete PSL/FPK or a STV-40. I'll have to ask them about getting just the reciever though. Hopefully they wouldn't charge too much for one. I found a few places that have a stripped FPK reciever for $99, so I'll have to look more into both.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 730

I dont know where your skills are at... But why not do it like the old gun designers did? Take some sorta non-auto gun and turn it into one...

I think thats how J. Garand started.. Bill Ruger made a lever gun into a semi-auto....

Figure out how to make a semi-auto Mosin that holds 10 rds. & can be reloaded with 2 Mosin clips/PSL mag, or such.. That would be awesome!

Last edited by Trez; 04-10-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #5

Trez, if I could figure out how to turn a mosin into a semi auto, I'd make a hundred of them.

My scales are amuture at best, but I can overcome that.

Now that you mention it, would it be possible? Mosin parts are cheap, but strond so it may be something workth looking into.

Also, would it be legal? Can I legally turn a bolt action reciever into a semi auto reciever?

Oh, and can you tell me what lever action was turned into a semi? I'd like to look into that some.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #6

Well, I looked and other than the pedersen device, a bolt action has never been converted to a semi auto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedersen_device

Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

if your looking to run cheap surplus a 308 barrel wont be a good choice. if your going to just load your own then yeah a 308 would be ideal because you would have access to a huge amount of bullet choices.

converting from one caliber to another is legal.

an m1 garand is a good choice, beater receivers arent hard to find, as a candidate as they have been converted to a wide variety of other calibers including 458 winchester magnum!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
if your looking to run cheap surplus a 308 barrel wont be a good choice. if your going to just load your own then yeah a 308 would be ideal because you would have access to a huge amount of bullet choices.

converting from one caliber to another is legal.

an m1 garand is a good choice, beater receivers arent hard to find, as a candidate as they have been converted to a wide variety of other calibers including 458 winchester magnum!!
Sweet. How exactly do you convert a garand though? Do you have to make a new clip for them? Is that hard with a rimmed cartridge?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Sweet. How exactly do you convert a garand though? Do you have to make a new clip for them? Is that hard with a rimmed cartridge?
i have no earthly idea how you would go about it but i would expect you would need a milling machine lathe and drill press as a minimum.

psl recievers are also good options but your pretty much locked into the psl format. building one up from a kit and receiever would be a good choice as a first advanced project. mating the barrel to reciever is the hard part.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #10

I have a drill press, but no milling machine. It would probably be safer to go with the PSL/FPK since I only have a little experience. I would like a 7.62x54R Garand someday though.