semi auto 20 ga need help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > semi auto 20 ga need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default semi auto 20 ga need help

Hello everyone I have a Sears & Roebuck semi auto 20 ga ted williams series. I am having a few issues with it.
A. I can only get two rounds to go into the tube mag
B. It wont feed a round in to the chamber from the mag after I maually moved the action (pull back and release the bolt)
C. I know Sears stoped producing guns in the 70's but I know nothing more about this gun.

Any help will be greatly appriciated thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not to firmiliar with that specific shotgun, but I'm pretty sure the reason you can only get two rounds in the tube is because it has a plug in it for bird hunting, see most states say you can only have 3 rounds in the gun at a time when shootin birds so they made plugs that go into the tube that stops the shells when two are in it. The plug should be easy to remove, just unscrew the cap or bolt or whatever holds the barrel on the tube then pull out the plug. I'm not sure what wold be causing it not to feed, does it only do that when you manually cycle it or will it not feed at all?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Sears quit selling guns in the 80s- but they did not MAKE the Ted Williams shotguns- they were made by gun makers, and marked with the Sears Brand Name. Post the model number here, may be able to cross reference it, tell you who made it, what model.

As he just said up there^^^, you probably have a sport plug in there. You MAY have a magazine cut off switch, or a broken/worn/loose part.

Get us some more info, we can get you more info.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #4

the only numbers i can see with the gun assembled (mod 75 20 ga 583.7500)
as for the feeding issue it will not pull a round from the mag and chamber it at all.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

See how much easier a number or two makes things?

Your Ted Williams is a Hi Standard Model 75, just about identical to the Supermatic model. Here is a parts list: http://www.histandard.info/manuals/hsashotguns/1167D150R.pdf

Sold by Sears from 1964-1968. 583.7500 is NOT a serial number, but the Sears Model number (there is actual a code to reading those numbers if you are a big fan of Sears marked guns) MOST Sears shotguns did not wear a serial number until the 1968 Gun Control Act required it.

Back to your fail to feed problem- difficult to diagnose at long range, but could be: (1) dirty gun- so if you have not, get a can of gunscrubber spray, flush the action area good, and light lube. OR- (2) problem with the cartridge stop (thing that keeps the shells in the magazine until they are supposed to come out) Could be stuck, broken, or loose. Time for a trip to the gunsmith. A FEW semi autos have a lever on the LEFT side of the reciever that keeps a shell in mag from feeding into the chamber- called a cutoff. Turned one way, shells feed, turned the other, they dont. Yours may not have one- but take a look.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #6

Thanks for the help going to see if I can get it. If not off to the smith it goes.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #7

Default who makes the sears model 75

It is made by High Standard and it is a supermatic deluxe 20 ga.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #8

you can get the schematics and order parts for this model at
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/HighStandard-33296/Shotguns-36545/SupermaticDeluxe20Gauge-40912.htm

Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #9

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

If it is like the schematic that joeltw69 provided then the problem is likely in parts 6,13,14. But that is only a guess without seeing the gun in person.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.