From scratch - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > From scratch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah even though you've told me this. I still would really love the process. I mean I know it might take hours of time in my first 1 probably going to work but be ugly crap. the goal of mine is just to get around through the chamber and then I would be happy. I've been researching different slides and Rails. There's a lot of different kinds. But for now I'm doing research on materials and design right now.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #22

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokengunguy View Post
yeah even though you've told me this. I still would really love the process. I mean I know it might take hours of time in my first 1 probably going to work but be ugly crap. the goal of mine is just to get around through the chamber and then I would be happy. I've been researching different slides and Rails. There's a lot of different kinds. But for now I'm doing research on materials and design right now.
brokengunguy Go for it, if its a real high priority for you then you will pull it off.. Gunsmithing is satisfying hobby for the person who already owns metalsworking machinery..There no shortage of worthy projects to choose from. I prefer attempting to replicate classic AMERICAN single shot rifles .Here is the last one I built from barstock- I made everything except the barrel....Maynard civil war era percussion cap fired breech loading .50 caliber carbine. Hundreds of hours labor in this one.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphawolf45 View Post

brokengunguy Go for it, if its a real high priority for you then you will pull it off.. Gunsmithing is satisfying hobby for the person who already owns metalsworking machinery..There no shortage of worthy projects to choose from. I prefer attempting to replicate classic AMERICAN single shot rifles .Here is the last one I built from barstock- I made everything except the barrel....Maynard civil war era percussion cap fired breech loading .50 caliber carbine. Hundreds of hours labor in this one.
Very nice in beautiful.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm Looking into the materials for my frame now. Pictures coming soon

Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I need some opinions um do I want a regular magazine or a double stack?
And hammer or no hammer?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I really don't have a preference so I just wanted to get some opinions.
hi capacity Or not ?
45cal is what I'm going with by the way.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #27

Likes Given: 1

I've built the two 1911s but I still dont know enough about'em to offer an opinion on preference between single and double stack magazines. What I want to mention is that at present there is high demand for .45 ammo to the degree that its difficult to find on a shelf anywhere. And large pistol primers seem to be out of stock everywhere I have looked.....And I been thinking about building another 1911 but looking to buy a barrel for such project shows that parts for 1911s are also being grabbed up..Sarco had been selling cheap sets of 1911 parts but can no longer keep up with the demand.
So...I am now thinking that if I wanted to build a pistol shooting .45 acp and I had to make all the parts I will consider building one like this one here-

http://www.gunauction.com/news/index.cfm/january-17-2013/doubletap-defense-announces-availability-of-tactical-pocket-pistol/