Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Scope adjustment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scope adjustment

I have a brand new Remington 750 auto and a brand new Leupold VXII 3-9x40

I am trying to bore sight it and I have the "up" knob turn all the way up and I am still 1/2 down from the crosshairs with my lazer bore sighter mark. I have tried extra high, high and medium rings with the same results. What other options to I have? Could the scope be defective from the factory. Any help would be appreciated.

Dean

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2664 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

Dean, I don't know what distance you are shooting at or what distance you want the scope adjusted to.
Here is a link to a ballistic calculator.
http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/
If you take a .308 and want to have POI of 200 yards, you will notice that it crosses the path of sight at approx 30 yds then comes back to the same point at 200 yds.

Find your ammo, and see if you can adjust the scope to the distance where the bullet first passes the line of sight.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2230 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

Handyman,

Here is an example of my Laser Bore Sight Card.
To bore sight at the distance recommended in you laser bore sighter paperwork. Here is how mine works
With this card 25 feet from the muzzle to get a rough zero my cross hairs should be in the center marked broken lines and the Laser Dot should be on the round laser dot location below. The laser should not be in the center of the cross hairs where my actual cross hairs are! The line of bore and the line of sight at closer ranges or much different with the rifle zeroed at 100 yards for example. If my Remington is zeroed at 100 yards for example the bullet would be hitting the target about three inches low at 25 yards. That may be why your having trouble trying to dial your laser up into the middle of the cross hair area. Your scope does not have that much adjustment. Please see my Laser Card below. The Scopes Cross Hairs at 25 ft. should be in the center on the dotted reticle lines and my Laser Dot should be on the circle below labeled Laser Target. Hope this helps. I can hardly believe you have a scope or mount problem if you are using the correct scope base. Medium Height Rings should do you well.

laser-bore-sight-card.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had the same problem recently with two new Model 700 SPS Varmint Left Hand rifles. I found that the top of the receiver was not of uniform height, meaning the receiver beneath the rear of the base was 0.022" lower than the receiver under the front of the base. This caused the scope to be angled upward when everything was torqued down.

I installed some shims that Brownell's sells for just this purpose under the rear of the base. The problem was solved, and these rifles shoot five-shot groups at 100 yards measuring less than 0.5". In front of witnesses, with a half-blind old man at the controls. The elevation knob is no longer maxxed out, it's right in the middle of its travel.

I don't know if this is your problem, but I gathered that this happens with 700's often ehough that they sell shims cut and drilled specifically for the bases that fit these guns.

Take the scope off the base, and relieve all the tension on the rear base screws. If the base "springs up" and reveals a gap between the rear of the base and the top of the receiver, measure the gap with feeler gauges and buy the appropriate shims from Brownell's.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2230 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

Handyman,

Khromo can also be right on the money! Sometimes it is hard to know exactly the question when it is in writing. But I have seen the issue he mentioned many times over the years. I have had that problem myself on two occasions and shims were the answer. Good Luck!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #6

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone, your comments were very helpfull.

Dean

Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #7

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Before I did anything else I would shoot a couple shots. Your laser could be the problem. If your shots match the laser then you will have to shim the base.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
I have a brand new Remington 750 auto and a brand new Leupold VXII 3-9x40

I am trying to bore sight it and I have the "up" knob turn all the way up and I am still 1/2 down from the crosshairs with my lazer bore sighter mark. I have tried extra high, high and medium rings with the same results. What other options to I have? Could the scope be defective from the factory. Any help would be appreciated.

Dean
Without the owners manual it's hard to give a definitive answer. My Simmons scopes have a 70" range of adjustment for both elevation and windage. The range of adjustment might not be in the owners manual. Requiring a call to Leupold to find out if you should have to shim the base on a Remington 750. I have bought older rifles that the base was shimmed with exposed camera film. Personally, I would call Leupold to find out if it's common to have to shim the base on your Remington. If the scope doesn't have the range of adjustment it is supposed to have it's broke. Leupold scopes are not cheap. I would expect a scope with a full range of adjustment.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #9

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Look at the possible problems- a several hundred dollar rifle or a several hundred dollar scope or a $10 mount or a $40 laser.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on what Chrome said . Get the shims for sight basses the work great

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping