Saving Grandpa's Pig Gun

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Saving Grandpa's Pig Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 03:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Saving Grandpa's Pig Gun

I have a Crack shot 26 made by J Stevens which was my Grandfathers slaughter house gun. The bore is in nasty condition and the bullet makes a large ragged hole somewhere in the target when fired. I have a Chooey barrel in good condition that I would like to convert to fit it. My question is; the Chooey barrel is 5 inches longer than the original barrel and I’m concerned about whether there would be a drastic increase in pressure on the rather primitive action. Also the bore in the Chooey seems to be somewhat tighter than the Stevens. I don’t know if the Stevens has a larger bore by design to decrease pressure or if it is because of the condition of the bore. Any input would be appreciated.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are you SURE it's .22 and not .25 rimfire or something of the like? If it's .22, the bore is likely pitted-that would account for the larger bore somewhat but it would REALLY have to be corroded badly to have a larger bore. You CAN salvage it by having your gunsmith install a barrel liner in the original barrel. That way it would look original because you're reusing the outside of the barrel.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #3

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Good old bear

I read your post and scrolled down to advise you to sleeve it. Once again the good old bear has beeten me to it.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #4

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

It's definately 22, There is about .0015 difference at the muzzle. It is not a real big deal to upgrade but I wanted to keep the original barrel as is. It is more of a challenge as a machineist friend told me I couldnt do it. Any one that knows me knows that the best way to get me to do something is tell me it cant be done. I've removed the receiver from the Chooey, Cut the turned down chamber off, machined the breach end flat as it is on the crackshot and cut the extractor slot in the bottom of the barrel. I now have to make the extractor and make 1 dovetail in the barrel to accept the attachment nut which I also have to make. Rebore the chamber. Then test fire. If all that goes well I will mnfg front and rear sights to fit the dovetails already in the barrel from Chooey. SHEEEWWW! didn't seem like that much of a project til I typed it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good luck with the project and you better post pictures when you're finished!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

get a bore sleeve form brownells, and the drill, bore out epoxy in place refinish the muzzle most original, but maybe have 2 bbls