Saved from Trash

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Saved from Trash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Saved from Trash

My brother-in law inherited 2 guns from his Grandfather; a model 56 savage 12 ga and a 22 Ranger. The shotgun had camo tape on it that he removed leaving the dried on hardened glue that covered the gun completely. The stock was beat up pretty bad and the action was almost impossible to cycle. He was going to trash both guns but I told him I'd clean them up for him. After trying to remove the glue with everything including Goo-Gone, thinner and everything under the kitchen sink, I used stripper and dish soap and water. It took about 1/2 hour to do the entire surface. The bluing surprisingly is about 95%. It had a recoil pad that was 1/8 inch too big all the way around with Gorilla glue that it was put on with pertruding over the already oversized recoil pad. I had to destroy the pad to get it off. The origional screw holes for the butt plate were stripped out and enlarged so I drilled them to 1/4 " and epoxied dowells in to redrill and apply a new pad. I removed all the dents and dings I could with Bondo (No my name isn't Bubba) then sanded the butt and the recoil pad to fit. Rustoleum has a dark gray texture paint I have had real nice results with, The stock is now dark gray. I broke the gun down and thoroughly cleaned it to get the action working like new. I reassembled it and called my B-I-L to pick it up. When he arrived it was on the table with 2 other guns and he about crapped himself when I told him it was his. I was totaly happy and surprised as he was it came out so nice. The whole process took about 4 hours including drying time. The ranger is next! Sorry I didn't do before and after pictures.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #2

Liked 740 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Nice! To bad you did not get before and after pics.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #3

I will get an after if I get a chance.Really kicking self in arse.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
Paul.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds like you had a satisfying project and I'm glad it turned out so well.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No kidding, sounds like a good project.

On a side note, and you may have already tried this I don't know. Depending on how deep the dents and dings are in the stock, you my be able to steam/iron them out.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #6

Liked 740 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
No kidding, sounds like a good project.

On a side note, and you may have already tried this I don't know. Depending on how deep the dents and dings are in the stock, you my be able to steam/iron them out.

A great method!!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #7

I have used the steam iron method and it does work well. I've used it on cue sticks also. This gun was beyond the steam iron method and bondo is not something I would normaly use but was all I had on hand. Actually worked better than wood filler.

Paul.