Savage 99 in .308?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Savage 99 in .308?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Savage 99 in .308?

The shop has a Savage 99 in .308. The rifling is good, the action is good and the round counter still works.

Unfortunately it's a disaster in every other way.

It needs to be disassembled, cleaned and lubed and all the steel needs to be reblued.

The stock is a throwaway, the wrist is cracked to pieces and I don't think it's worth messing with. It's good for kindling and not much else. I'd have to peg the heck out of it and then epoxy it and then I'd have to paint it and I don't want to do that.

Boyd's has a stock & forearm replacement for about a hundred bucks. I can easily do the fitting and finishing and I'll float the barrel.

I have a problem when it comes to rebluing it. I did my Eddystone myself, but I think I'd like this one done professionally. Ford's gets at least $240. not counting shipping.

Since money's tight I was wondering if anyone here knew of a good refinisher that's maybe not quite so pricey.

I can probably get the rifle for around $200. so I also would like to know what you guys think. Is this a project worth doing? I could easily wind up with $500. or more in it by the time I'm finished, so is it worth it?

I enjoy the process and have been learning a lot by fooling around with some of these old shooters.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 03-10-2010 at 04:35 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #2

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The 99 is a nice classic piece to own, Took my first Deer with one I borrowed from my father-in-law. $240 sounds like a lot to me for bluing. A friend of mine just had a Rem 1100 completely reblued for $100 at a local shop and it looks like or better than factory. Considering what I've seen 99s going for lately $500 is not too far out of line. You need to get opinions from someone that is way more privy than myself but I saw a 99 at Gander Mtn last wk for $449 in ok condition.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks. After having slept on the idea, I'll probably pass. There are other real priorities and I really don't have the cash for a project right now.
I just enjoy doing the work and the learning process.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've dropped the idea. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It might be a good idea that you dropped the idea so don't beat yourself up over it. In my experience, usually when the outside of a rifle is a disaster like that, the bore is likely to be abused or neglected, sometimes requiring a barrel swap-or at least an extensive cleaning. If you do decide to go ahead with it, use Oxpho Blue from Brownells.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Bear. I'm just going to pass. I really can't afford it and I would be anal about getting it right.

However, I am thinking about getting my Garand reparkerized.