Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Savage 99 in .308? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/savage-99-308-a-24452/)

CA357 03-10-2010 04:33 AM

Savage 99 in .308?

The shop has a Savage 99 in .308. The rifling is good, the action is good and the round counter still works.

Unfortunately it's a disaster in every other way.

It needs to be disassembled, cleaned and lubed and all the steel needs to be reblued.

The stock is a throwaway, the wrist is cracked to pieces and I don't think it's worth messing with. It's good for kindling and not much else. I'd have to peg the heck out of it and then epoxy it and then I'd have to paint it and I don't want to do that.

Boyd's has a stock & forearm replacement for about a hundred bucks. I can easily do the fitting and finishing and I'll float the barrel.

I have a problem when it comes to rebluing it. I did my Eddystone myself, but I think I'd like this one done professionally. Ford's gets at least $240. not counting shipping.

Since money's tight I was wondering if anyone here knew of a good refinisher that's maybe not quite so pricey.

I can probably get the rifle for around $200. so I also would like to know what you guys think. Is this a project worth doing? I could easily wind up with $500. or more in it by the time I'm finished, so is it worth it?

I enjoy the process and have been learning a lot by fooling around with some of these old shooters.

dteed4094 03-10-2010 06:23 AM

The 99 is a nice classic piece to own, Took my first Deer with one I borrowed from my father-in-law. $240 sounds like a lot to me for bluing. A friend of mine just had a Rem 1100 completely reblued for $100 at a local shop and it looks like or better than factory. Considering what I've seen 99s going for lately $500 is not too far out of line. You need to get opinions from someone that is way more privy than myself but I saw a 99 at Gander Mtn last wk for $449 in ok condition.

CA357 03-10-2010 02:05 PM

Thanks. After having slept on the idea, I'll probably pass. There are other real priorities and I really don't have the cash for a project right now.
I just enjoy doing the work and the learning process.

CA357 03-11-2010 02:53 PM

I've dropped the idea. Thanks for the input.

stalkingbear 03-11-2010 03:06 PM

It might be a good idea that you dropped the idea so don't beat yourself up over it. In my experience, usually when the outside of a rifle is a disaster like that, the bore is likely to be abused or neglected, sometimes requiring a barrel swap-or at least an extensive cleaning. If you do decide to go ahead with it, use Oxpho Blue from Brownells.

CA357 03-11-2010 11:16 PM

Thanks Bear. I'm just going to pass. I really can't afford it and I would be anal about getting it right.

However, I am thinking about getting my Garand reparkerized. :cool: