Savage 93R17 BTVS action

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Savage 93R17 BTVS action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Savage 93R17 BTVS action

Just got this for Christmas and fired it a few times. What I'm realizing is that the action isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be. It has gotten smoother with cleaning and may get smoother over time so this thread could be moot. But what I was wondering was is there something I could do myself to make it smoother or is this typically a gunsmith only process?

Any suggestions would be great and if I should just leave it alone that is what I'll do, thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The best way to smooth up the action is to put lapping compound on your bolt and work it a couple thousand times. I'd use FINE lapping compound and be SURE to remove ALL of the lapping compound when you're done. You'll have to recoat the contact areas several times while doing it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1137/Product/LAPPING_COMPOUNDS

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 02-07-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #3

This sounds fairly straightforward and simple process but I want to check a few things before I do it myself. Do I just brush a little on the bolt and then once I see it is wearing off reapply? What cleaning agent should I use to get rid of all of the lapping compound? Once I'm done do I just use a normal gun oil on the parts? This process almost seems too simple and is why I'm asking so many questions. Thanks again.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you use the lapping compound I showed you in the link, it's water soluble-that means it washes away with soap & warm water. You apply a light coat of lapping compound to the bolt and reapply when you feel it "go away". I was only 1/2 joking when I said a couple thousand times, be advised it WILL take several hundred cycles to do the job.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #5

Polish the bolt on the flats and on top of the rib with a stone, just don't get carried away, a little lapping might be OK, but realize it's easy to open things up too much.
The Savage is a production rifle not a custom one, it will smooth up on it's own with some use. Don't expect it to be as smooth as a rifle costing far more, just be glad they shoot like they have eyes.

John K

Old 02-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll be staying away from the stone though. All I'm looking to get rid of is the difficult push that it has and I think the lapping compound will take care of that. I've got 500 rounds heading to the house right now so I can really start breaking this baby in.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:57 AM   #7

Shoot it for a while and look for the spots where the bluing is wearing, those are the spots worth going after.

John K

Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #8

This one is a stainless steel big baby but I'll keep an eye out for wear paterns from here on out.