Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Savage 110 chambering problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Savage 110 chambering problem

HI, I am new to the forum and I am in need of some help. I am far from an expert on gunsmithing.... very far so don't worry about insulting my intelligence.

My gun (savage 110 bolt action 30-06) has a problem. I hunted one evening and the gun took a bump. Nothing more than a bump that happens to most hunting guns at one time or another. After the hunt I unloaded the 3 cartridges without any problem. That entailed running all the bullets into the chamber and back out to eject them.

I set the gun in the corner and the next morning I was unable to close the bolt when trying to reload the gun! The bolt works perfectly without a bullet but if you put a bullet in the chamber the bolt goes forward easily but would not close and then extracting the bullet was very stiff as well.

I eventually go a shell chambered with the bolt closed. I have cleaned the barrel/sprayed oil in it/run brush and patches through the barrel and that seems to have helped. I can now chamber rounds more easily but not sure if it is because I cleaned/oiled the gun or simply because I have cycled the bolt with a bullet a hundred times.

Could a piece of trash be the problem considered after the small bump the gun unloaded all the bullets without difficulty?

Thanks for your time!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman66 View Post
HI, I am new to the forum and I am in need of some help. I am far from an expert on gunsmithing.... very far so don't worry about insulting my intelligence.

My gun (savage 110 bolt action 30-06) has a problem. I hunted one evening and the gun took a bump. Nothing more than a bump that happens to most hunting guns at one time or another. After the hunt I unloaded the 3 cartridges without any problem. That entailed running all the bullets into the chamber and back out to eject them.

I set the gun in the corner and the next morning I was unable to close the bolt when trying to reload the gun! The bolt works perfectly without a bullet but if you put a bullet in the chamber the bolt goes forward easily but would not close and then extracting the bullet was very stiff as well.

I eventually go a shell chambered with the bolt closed. I have cleaned the barrel/sprayed oil in it/run brush and patches through the barrel and that seems to have helped. I can now chamber rounds more easily but not sure if it is because I cleaned/oiled the gun or simply because I have cycled the bolt with a bullet a hundred times.

Could a piece of trash be the problem considered after the small bump the gun unloaded all the bullets without difficulty?

Thanks for your time!
It could be very possible. Drop the bolt out of the gun and clean the heckbout of the bolt channel and see if that helps.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #3

I have pulled the bolt and cleaned it but it is still very tight. If working the action with a cartridge repeatedly is what is making it easier that kind of had me thinking it might be a piece of metal in there that I have crushed/bent/smoothed repeatedly to lighten up the resistance.

Do you think it would be safe to shoot?
If I shoot it and the gun is still sighted in does that stengthen this conclusion? Someone mentioned the barrel could be out of square or something. Does that also sound like a possibility?

I can drop a bullet by hand down into the barrel and then rack the bolt in. The bullet goes all the way easily.

Just for clarity:
When chambering a round the bolt works freely as it moves forward but is stiff on the way down. Then when extracting the bullet the bolt is tight on the way up and on the way back when extracting the bullet. As the bullet is moved back it gets easier and easier as less and less of the cartridge up in the chamber.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #4

Then clean the living hell out of the chamber w a slightly larger brass brush and mop. Sounds like ypu have accumulated junk in the chamber

Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #5

OK, thanks. The more I work the bolt the easier it seems to get. Will try the brush some more thanks!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #6

Your welcome. Your loads could also have swelled or be to long as well.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #7

Thank you thank you thank you.

I took the bolt out and ran a brush for a 20 guage I think up into the chamber. Pushed it in and pulled it out a couple of times.

BAM. Whatever was in there causing the problem is fixed. I didn't see anything come out on the brush or the barrel but it very easily could have. Chambered a round and the bolt moves freely!!!

Thanks you, the oversized wire brush worked like magic and you saved me a trip to the gunsmith.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman66 View Post
Thank you thank you thank you.

I took the bolt out and ran a brush for a 20 guage I think up into the chamber. Pushed it in and pulled it out a couple of times.

BAM. Whatever was in there causing the problem is fixed. I didn't see anything come out on the brush or the barrel but it very easily could have. Chambered a round and the bolt moves freely!!!

Thanks you, the oversized wire brush worked like magic and you saved me a trip to the gunsmith.
I AM a gunsmith by trade and love of work your welcome amd ut doesn't take much to cause that problem

Last edited by Marlinman; 01-02-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:40 AM   #9

Liked 82 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Omega make sure to check the bore of your rifle to make sure whatever might have been causing the problem didn't get pushed into the barrel since you didn't see it come out.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5257 Times on 2741 Posts
Likes Given: 331

savages have extremely tight chambers very close to saami minimum if not right on the button for minimum spec. this is a great thing for accuracy. its one of the key reasons the current production saages are so accurate.

the downside is that it doesnt take much fouling in the chamber to make what your experiencing happen. i would say the bump is just coincidence and caused you to notice it happening. savage chambers must be cleaned much more frequently than other makes.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...